The Sewing Place

The Emperor's New Clothes or a Dogs Dinner???

maliw

Re: The Emperor's New Clothes or a Dogs Dinner???
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 15:43:36 PM »
Oh I like that and love the fabric.
I know what you mean about the flimsy covers, both my sewing machines only have the carrying bags, the overlocker and coverstitch have the plastic thingies. I made covers for allof them, not padded and quilted but yours looks so much better than the saggy covers on mine.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 16:14:39 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper  .. surely Jersey would fit lie a glove ?????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 16:52:17 PM »
...or flop like a baggy t-shirt...  :S

I have found some interesting fabric with poodles on...

linky

Just need it to be payday now...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 16:54:40 PM by Bodgeitandscarper »

Sara-S

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 19:19:22 PM »
Very nicely done!  I agree about the Brother covers. The one that came with my embroidery machine was cheap plastic. I sewed a drape with ribbon ties and a slit at the top for the handle.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 07:56:56 AM »
@Sara-S
 I like that idea. Practical, pretty and not too tricky!
I might do that for two of my machines as I think I would struggle to make something fitted like Iminei’s, as much as I really admire it.

Sara-S

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
@Sara-S
 I like that idea. Practical, pretty and not too tricky!
I might do that for two of my machines as I think I would struggle to make something fitted like Iminei’s, as much as I really admire it.

Thanks @WildAtlanticWay !  I love what @Iminei made, but it exceeds my skills. Mine was made from 4 coordinating fat quarters. I used some fusible interfacing between layers.  So I sewed 2 pieces RST and then turned them right-side out. I pinned 2 pieces of ribbon into the seam allowance.  Repeat for the second side.  I sewed the 2 panels together at the top, stopping about 2/3 of the way.  Then I left some room for the handle and resumed sewing for a little less than a quarter of the way to the end. Measurements will, of course vary with your machine, but it's pretty easy.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Syrinx

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 10:59:49 AM »
Hahaha I've been meaning to make a cover for my V3 ever since i bought it second hand and it came without a cover at all. But the brain melting how to fit it over the carriage means it just sits on the table and i wipe the dust off occasionally  :scream:

If there's a pattern now though - I may get on it!

Oh and Imi I will be buying some stuff from spoonflower I think - do you still want the elvis fabric  ;)

Iminei

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 11:20:57 AM »
Yes please!!! I think its just yardage, not a panel and a yard/metre would do ...

I can send you Elvistoos placky cover as a stopgap if you want or point you in the direction of the GOOD destructions for a cover ...

The ones Puzzler and I were working from were C*** and very confused (we think they were two different sets) and in the end we threw them away and winged it.

The day after I had made this cover a girl on fb releases her much more comprehensive destruction ... are you on FB @Syrinx  ??

Syrinx

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »
I am! I am also on that group haha but I'd missed her post so your link was super handy!

I'll probably put the order in this week, just trying to corral other people who want a bit of fabric from them but haven't confirmed yet.

Haha, my V3 chills under whatever I chuck on it, or he's nakey. Can you pop a link to the exact elvis you want? I'd hate to get the wrong one!

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2020, 11:36:47 AM »

Original thread

This is the one I really, really want ... I wanna, I wanna, I wanna zig a zig zig .. (Apologies Spice girls were not my era but you get the gist ....)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 12:46:07 PM by Iminei »

Syrinx

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2020, 12:55:23 PM »
Ok, I'll have a look on spoonflower

Elnnina

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 16:37:57 PM »
Good morning Imi, oh yes I remember our attempts to sort of copy my cover for the Bernina Artista 200  and make it suitable for the original Elvis – it sort of never materialised.  Your attempts are super, well done hope Elvistoo enjoys his new clothes, all beautifully quilted as well.

I have been searching and searching for the photos I took and sent to Imi all afternoon, My Bernina covers are in three parts, and are made of a very sturdy fabric with what looks and feels like wired piping.  The main machine part is sort of cut away at the free arm part and has one half of an open end zip sewn on, and this part also has a very shallow strip that again has half a zip attached so when joined on to the body it totally covers the main machine only.   The third part of the cover is much smaller, wider and flatter and  also has  half of an open end zip sewn on.  So when the embroidery attachment is actually attached to the main machine you can still use the main cover,  but unzip the small strip first, so the cover really only comes down to the free arm part, then join the  cover for the embroidery unit and just zip them together.

So back to the photos, I know the first ones I took of this cover are somewhere on my laptop but finding them was a problem, so I charged up the camera and found them on there.  Having typed out my reply I then tried to attach the photos and something went horribly wrong, and I lost my message and got a fatal warning page instead.

So with Imi’s help I am hoping that today I can actually attach these.

I know that Twopence has gone to a lot of trouble to sort out on a Windows 10 laptop how I can download my photos, but due to the lockdown we haven’t been able to see one another, and when we do it won’t be 2mtrs. apart as I need to be closer to be able to see and understand what to do.  Oh it was so much easier when I had  a lesser windows and also a Photo programme.  Whilst I still have the disc with the photo programme on it I have no doubt that it is not sophisticated enough for Windows 10 and that is what causes the problems.  Do we really have to go buying everything new again with the very latest versions every time we change to a different Windows system.  I know for example I cannot use my expensive Bernina Embroidery programme on Windows 10, so I have an old laptop tucked away that still has XP on it, or failing that I will nab my husband’s laptop which is V.7 and has been kept that way as this is the last one that will accept the Bernina Programme.

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 17:00:44 PM »
Oh ... How very, very posh!!!!

Is it Bernina made or ... Wait for it ... Elnnina made (Im soooo clever  :dance: hahahahahahaha)

Very very swish!

If I ever source the Elvis fabric I want I will attempt a second do-over and as Elvistoo is stored apart (on his box in the corner of the dining room .. STILL .. to my shame! :( ) His current jacket suits him fine!

Elnnina

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 18:27:47 PM »
The answer to who made this super cover is Bernina - I certainly have never ever seen anything like this before.  I hope that from the second photo you can see how on the main cover the bottom part unzips completely to allow the embroidery cover to be zipped on.  The fabric of this cover is very sturdy indeed, and as I have already mentioned there is piping and this is very hard, whatever is in side the piping I cannot see, but the same fabric as the cover is wrapped around the piping.

I should add that I started writing this reply to Imi days ago, and unexpectedly I had a visit from Twopence who came to lunch and stayed this afternoon to help me with photographs and getting them on to the laptop - yes it took all afternoon as at times Twopence was as puzzled as I have been about my laptop.  Still we got there in the end.  Twopence also brought me some fat quarters (no don't go getting excited here) for me to make some more masks from, for which I am really grateful.