The Sewing Place

Hand stitched leather wallets and purses

Mr Twingo

Hand stitched leather wallets and purses
« on: July 07, 2020, 19:09:07 PM »
These are the leaving gifts I made for the Year 6 pupils at the school where I am so fortunate to work. Entirely cut, polished, slicked, bevelled, skived, and sewn by hand whilst I was furloughed. This style of stitch is known as saddle stitch, and is done with two needles wither end of a thread. Still room for some refinement...

Click to enlarge.

snoozi soozi

Re: Hand stitched leather wallets and purses
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 19:16:17 PM »
They're fab, what lucky students to receive them.

Presents to students from teachers was unheard of in my day  ><
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 19:21:37 PM »
Wow @Mr Twingo what a talent you have!  Lucky pupils, I bet they were delighted  :)
Willing but not always able :)

Mr Twingo

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 19:28:51 PM »
I've not handed them out yet; that will happen on Thursday, after I've inserted a little note into each, and wrapped them in tissue paper.

Every young lady needs a purse, and every young gentleman needs a wallet. IMHO.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 19:30:18 PM »
You do know it is unlucky to give a purse or wallet without at least a coin in them, time to raid the 5p jar  :)

I was once given a very expensive Italian leather handcrafted purse but it was empty, I promptly gave it back and said "put some money in it for luck, just a penny will do" - he promptly did so :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 19:41:19 PM by Lilian »
Willing but not always able :)

Mr Twingo

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 19:44:12 PM »
You do know it is unlucky to give a purse or wallet without at least a coin in them, time to raid the 5p jar  :)

Indeed I do. But it might have sounded 'unusual' if I mentioned I would be putting a penny in every one.  ;)

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2020, 20:11:57 PM »
I'm impressed! Fabulous work.
I hope you'll tell the children that you made them by hand, especially for them. They need to know.

Sandra.
xxx

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2020, 20:16:08 PM »
I'd be extremely proud to use one of those. You must be some teacher to give the students a leaving gift, when I left school all I got was earache from teachers sighs of relief.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2020, 20:27:37 PM »
They are really lovely.   :thumbsup:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2020, 20:30:31 PM »
They're fab, what lucky students to receive them.

Presents to students from teachers was unheard of in my day  ><

It's been a very unusual school year. I got gifts from some of my teachers but I'm not sure the entire class got anything. Still have the antique glass candy holder shaped like a womans shoe. Still remember the teacher fondly as well.

@Mr Twingo that is a fabulous gift. On behalf of all your pupils and their families, thank you.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Vezelay

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2020, 21:09:07 PM »
Wow, it would probably take me months to make all those! So generous with your time and energy @Mr Twingo.

RJR_38

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2020, 21:21:05 PM »
Wow, these truly are a masterpiece and something they will treasure and look back on for years to come.

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 21:29:23 PM »
Oh Wow!  Those are really lovely - and the boys' wallets even have their initials on.  I do hope that the children (and their parents) appreciate what a special gift they will be getting. :loveit:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 21:34:33 PM »
Aww what a lovely thing to do. They are fantastic.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 21:45:47 PM »
Those are wonderful, they must have taken you a lot of time. You must really love your pupils <3