The Sewing Place

New...

Efemera

New...
« on: July 09, 2020, 12:49:30 PM »
After thinking of buying Celia’s Pfaff machine I’m all unsettled. I’m thinking of jumping ship and buying a Bernina 740
https://www.franknutt.co.uk/bernina-740
Anyone got any experience with this machine?

Elnnina

Re: New...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 13:10:46 PM »
Oooh Effie that is exciting, whilst I do not have one of the more latest Bernina's I do have a Bernina Artista 200 and it does purr.  I believe Kenora and Twopence both have much newer Bernina's but whether they are the 700 series or not I do not know.  I expect they will see this reference to them and come on here to say yes or no.

Hope you get something sorted out soon and then you can indulge in just playing with the new beauty.

Gernella

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 13:12:34 PM »
As my boss used to say, that's a quantum leap, but I'm sure you must be worth it.

Unfortunately I only have the humble 215, so cannot comment but there are around 6 five star reviews on Pattern Review.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

coffeeandcake

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 13:29:55 PM »
I'm so interested in this as I've been looking at the 7 series Berninas (virtually) for the last few months.  I really like my Pfaffs and never much cared for the styling of Berninas but the more to date models look nicer.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 13:59:24 PM »
I’m like you @coffeeandcake ..I’ve always been a Pfaff girl,  my main machine is a Pfaff QE4. I have an ancient Bernina 810 That I use for clattering through any old stuff( just discovered this does lovely buttonholes) I have never been completely happy with the tension on the Pfaff, I’ve had it fixed 4 times and I don’t  like the way it stitches buttonhole backwards. The main thing I like about Pfaff is the IDT but the newer Bernina have a dual feed system now...oh decisions...

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 16:15:35 PM »
The Pfaff is still available ?????? @Celia
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 16:57:05 PM »
The Pfaff is still available ?????? @Celia

Yes it’s still here @Iminei

KayK

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 17:48:24 PM »
I recently purchased from Frank Nutt's a Bernina 457QE which is a slightly smaller version of the 740, not having the 9mm stitch width.  I am very impressed with it, simple to use, stitch quality great and the super sized bobbins are fantastic! 

If I had the money at the time, I would have gone for 7 series, but they are pretty large, and would not have fitted in my elderly, but very useful Horn cabinet.

Bernina feet, although expensive are a work of art, but I imagine you would get all you would ever need with the 7 series!

However, I did have the original Pfaff Passport some years ago, which I stupidly traded in, and wished I hadn't!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2020, 18:50:35 PM »
Alas @KayK you only get a few basic feet with the machine...

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2020, 19:45:21 PM »
@Efemera if you do buy it you can  at least put new Bernina feet on your Christmas and birthday lists.

A friend has just bought one and is seriously impressed with it.

fajita

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2020, 20:15:01 PM »
Mines a 550 QE and I love it. I imagine that one is just the same, but bigger and better.  :meditation:

twopence

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2020, 20:33:53 PM »
I have the 570QE which I love but wish I'd known they were going to bring out another new version of the 570QE so soon as I'd have waited and bought that.  I had looked at the 7 series and still want one but my machine sits in a cabinet and they're too big for it.  I've not given up though and may yet have one.

My two girls have my previous Bernina's which are still going strong.

Kenora

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2020, 19:10:58 PM »
@Efemera - I'm sorry but I've only just seen this thread. I'm catching up in September! :S

I have the 720 and the 570, both of which I love. They are the best, smoothest machines I've ever used in over 60 years of sewing. The only reason I didn't buy the 770 was that I wanted the 5.0mm foot, not the wider one. I do mostly detail work and I don't like the wider feet. I have nothing bad to say about either machine. Hope this helps. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath