The Sewing Place

Scraps short pj set

dolcevita

Scraps short pj set
« on: July 10, 2020, 11:27:51 AM »
I got my second pair of pyjamas out of my left over fabric, but it took a bit of head scratching and pattern hacking to manage it, especially the top. The bottoms are short tofino lounge pants without a waist ribbon and two rounds of narrow elastic in the waistband.
The top is based on the same one as before, an Ottobre long sleeved t, but chopped into a camisole as there wasn't enough fabric for anything else. They're very comfy and nice and cool in bed.
There really were just scraps left at the end, not even enough for a decent length of binding.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:43:02 AM by dolcevita »

Ohsewsimple

Re: Scraps short pj set
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:37:39 AM »
Ooh nice @dolcevita.  Love the idea of the double shoulder straps.  Very satisfying when you have virtually nothing left isn’t it?   Doesn’t happen often. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »
Well done on using up your fabric, I hate it when I have half a yard or so left and can't use it for anything, but it's too big to throw away! 
Lovely colours too.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 12:58:08 PM »
@Bodgeitandscarper how about colour blocking, facings for waistbands and zips, slotted seams with a different colour, godets, home made bias binding.  I know you like knits, so make your bands in a different fabric to use up the odds, add a ruffle or cuffs  in a different fabric.  Split sleeves in half and add a different fabric insert in the middle.   You could also do this with the main body of the fabric.  This also solves a problem with fabric shortage.  Just a few ideas.   ;)

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 14:26:17 PM »
Great ideas, thank you  0_0

But why do my leftovers never "go" with any other fabric?  :S :[

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 14:35:22 PM »
Great ideas, thank you  0_0

But why do my leftovers never "go" with any other fabric?  :S :[

Because you don't have enough "other" fabrics. You need a bigger stash. :D

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 15:23:22 PM »
Probably because like me you buy a fabric you like instead of a few that go together @Bodgeitandscarper
@dolcevita is right....you need more!   We do need to get the economy moving and keep fabric places in business.

How about looking through some of your bits and looking for something that will go with them.  If you've got patterns, buy some plains and vice versa.  You might find you don’t need a lot. 
Heck I almost sound like I know what I’m talking about.  :rolleyes:  why don’t I follow my own  advice?

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 15:34:34 PM »
I would buy more, but I find it impossible to match colours buying online, and there's no fabric shops anywhere near that even sell much in the way of jersey.

And I really, really don't want any more fabric.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 09:21:14 AM »
Just love that top ... (but without the bow I'm afraid, I'm not a bow type of girl) ... but love the look, style and fabric ...
Bravo! I wish I could sew  :(
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 16:53:00 PM »
Just love that top ... (but without the bow I'm afraid, I'm not a bow type of girl) ... but love the look, style and fabric ...
Bravo! I wish I could sew  :(

Of course you can sew! You just haven't practiced much, that's all. I'm not a bow kind of girl normally, but the fabric warranted it on this occasion. And I wanted to use up a scrap of ribbon  :)