The Sewing Place

Spiral swans

Syrinx

Re: Spiral swans
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 20:28:47 PM »
Another update if anyone is interested.

Been quilting like mad today. Gone through three bobbins of thread. Something odd happened with the third bobbin but I only noticed it at the end as I was trimming ends. the thread didn't tension properly all the time for some weird reason. No idea why but it hasn't held the stitches locked tight to the fabric. I'm not overly fussed as the quilt is for myself but can't work out why it's done it. I may spin up another bobbin and use the current one as a spool on top in case it was a winding issue.

I've quilted all of it except the outermost bit. I can't decide what to quilt there. Echo quilting is a possibility, but I am quilting low loft bamboo with a plain navy cotton, not a rayon so it's blending in beuatifully and just giving texture. Unfortunately this means it doesn't photo well. You can see the quilting a little better from the back but I think this might be a quilt I need to get the DSLR out for, or maybe make avideo.

I also appliqued the last strip of flying geese/swans onto the back. I spent forever pressing the strip so that all the SA was tucked away then applique quilted it on.

I'd love any ideas for the outer quilting if anyone has any. The rest is echo and bubble quilting.

Morgan

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 23:58:20 PM »
Looking for something else, of course I fell down a rabbit hole and stumbled across some inspiration work by Theo.
On the second page of the gallery, take a look at the fish quilt - the flowing lines and graduated circles might be something that could work with your design.
http://home.theodoregray.com/stitchblog/

The framed fish blog post shows more

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 00:07:43 AM by Morgan »

fajita

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2020, 00:13:37 AM »
Looking good @Syrinx  :toast:

@Morgan Some lovely quilting there. Loved the infinity pi numbers quilt.

Syrinx

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2020, 13:16:35 PM »
I did enjoy Theo's molecule quilts.

Whilst I do love the negative space quilting on the fish I don't think it would work as my wadding is super low loft. I think that might be where my problem is - I can't see it in my head. I don't really want to just do stipples...maybe ever increasing bubbles? so getting bigger the futher away? Or echo quilt the spiral shape a few times. Possible little spirals to match the spiral batik? Maybe a few lines of echo quilting, then the rest a mixture of bubbles and spirals?

Too much to choose from. I just want to bind it and photograph it and use it!

Morgan

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2020, 21:27:43 PM »
You've found your own answer there - echo quilt with spirals , that become bubbles that increase in size to the edges.

Iminei

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:56 AM »
@Morgan  WOW ... What Quilts! What a website! Wow Wow Wow!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Syrinx

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2020, 17:55:12 PM »
Finished off the FMQ pebbles this morning. And I've just finished binding it.

As I wanted the backing fabric as the binding I did my marvellous "cheaty" binding method where I trim the backing to ¾" bigger than the rest, fold raw edge to edge of batting and top, fold over again, pin, and sew. I went with cut off corners to echo the triangles of the spiral and give a wee bit of interest to the border.

It's not my neatest FMQ and I didn't straighten the quilt so it's not fully square but it's a lap quilt for myself and I didn't feel it necessary to make it that perfect, hardly going to go to a show now is it!

I took some pictures of it inside and outside, trying to get the quilting to show. It's got bamboo wadding so low loft but warm. It's quilted to within an inch of its life so it's a nice sort of stiffness - nothing a few goes through the machine won't cure.

So, here are the pictures! I may do a video if anyone is interested in seeing it more up close, but as I said, not my finest work

wrenkins

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2020, 18:29:34 PM »
That's stunning @Syrinx  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2020, 08:42:32 AM »
Thank you @wrenkins I'm really pleased with how it turned out. As I'm struggling for table space around my machine it's mostly been half folded/rolled and clamped whilst I quilt a bit of a it so it's the first time I've had a proper look at it all quilted. I love how the binding makes the spiral pop. I'm so looking forward to just having it around!

RJR_38

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2020, 07:27:04 AM »
It looks fabulous!

Stitches

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2020, 07:31:47 AM »
It looks stunning

Lowena

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2020, 10:20:05 AM »
Lovely