Kayfersmum

Newbie Error washing fabric
« on: July 14, 2020, 17:56:55 PM »

Apologise if I’m writing in the wrong forum
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

sewingj

Re: Newbie Error washing fabric
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 18:10:18 PM »
I use Gutermann Sew All thread for pretty much everything. It's strong and easy to get hold of

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 18:31:57 PM »
Yes, Gütermann SewAll, it's a good quality thread, readily available and suitable thickness for most things.

For future pre-washing you don't need a bag but you do need to secure the cut ends, just run a line of zig-zag stitching close to each end where the fabric was cut.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 18:36:56 PM »
 0_0 everyone has done at least once. Best advice from an old quilter friend is to clip  diagonally across the corners to cut down on raveling. Just a half inch from the corner is plenty. I do this to any fabric before I wash it. I wash any that might get laundered. The little clipped corners also lets me know if my fabric has been treated already.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 19:14:12 PM »
Ooooh I've seen worse. Much much worse and I my friend washed them in a pillow case. It took me her hours to iron them straight.  :S Some people don't pre-wash but I always do and 'my friend's' little incident hasn't put me off although it won't be strip sets. Definitely 100% not strips!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 20:46:10 PM »
I use Coats Moon polyester sew all.  My local fabric shop keeps the display just by the till.  Gutermann's is too expensive for me.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 21:48:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement  :thumbsup:

I’m pretty much housebound so will take a look online for the thread makes you recommended.  Such an array of lovely colours, I’ll have to be careful how many I buy
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

Vezelay

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 21:54:42 PM »
I don't usually launder small pieces of fabric as they'd be for bags, pouches etc that either don't get washed or where a bit of shrinkage won't matter. But for masks I soak and handwash the fabric then apply a hot iron while they're still damp. I reckon that activates any shrinkage. No- one has complained yet anyway :).

Larger amounts of fabric go in the machine and those straggly edges can be trimmed with a rotary cutter before sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 22:03:00 PM »
A lot of quilters do white, black or navy blue, a medium gray, off white or cream and a sort of mauve. The gray and mauve blend into lots of fabric colors as does the off white and navy. It isn't necessary to have a color match for seams. It's usually nice on visible hems but not mandatory.

Most Sewists have certain colors they gravitate towards and those will be the colors you'll need. I use mostly gray and black thread,  some off white and surprisingly a lot of red.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 06:49:59 AM »
I never pre-wash (oooh Bad Imi ..  :devil: )

But if you had to, and with yardage especially,  a good tip is to sew the two cut ends together to form a continuous  loop of fabric ... you can then wash as much as you like as there wont be any cut ends to unravel ... remember to use a fairly long stitch length to minimise unpicking time.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 07:58:00 AM »
I never prewash either. 

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 10:18:30 AM »
I generally don't prewash anything (extra work), but I did do my first lot of mask fabric but used one of the many bags I have and just did a quick wash.  These latest ones I've just reverted to getting on with them and beggar the washing.

I have ballsed up two skirts recently, two of the same fabric because I liked it.  On two occasions recently done nearly the same trick, sat having my tea (black) I have a bad habit of taking the cup from the saucer and leaving it on the side on the unit top in front of me.  Picked it up and for some reason got distracted and dropped it in my lap and everywhere else.  I just shoved it in the wash with some replacement powder Morrisons sent me but stuck some Arial stain remover in.  When it came to ironing I never noticed any markings on the first one, other than the iron hadn't dried off where the steam had been. Stuffed it in the boiler room to hang. When it came to the second one it was a very definite marking, at which point the penny dropped that the other wasn't a water mark.

So I have no idea what to do than keep sticking in the wash and hoping they will shift as I suppose heat has fixed them.

Stupid girl :facepalm:
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 21:59:02 PM »
I don't pre-wash stuff for quilting but I do pre-wash fabrics for making garments - I'd rather get any shrinkage out of the way first!

The Moon versus Gütermann debate rages on!

Moon is a bit thicker and it's fluffier than Gütermann SewAll
Some love Mooon, others don't.  IMO You get what you pay for, but try both to see the difference.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

mudcat

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 02:25:40 AM »
I pre-wash quilting cotton and most garments fabric but not wool or knits.  The curling of the selvedge on knits is a bear to deal with when cutting out and trying to stay on grain. 

For smaller pieces of fabric I serge prior to pre-washing.

Esme866

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 03:14:42 AM »
For several small pieces that I felt needed prewashing ( and a garment fabric I want to sew ASAP) I soak thoroughly in the sink, wring out by hand and then roll in a clean towel, drop the towel on the floor and stomp/stand on it to remove all excess moisture - then press dry with a dry iron or machine dry or air dry - whatever. The soaking method doesn't unravel the edges as I have ZERO patience for any pre-sewn prevention.

I never pretreat wools or silks or anything I know will be going to the cleaners after usage - unless said fabrics are thrift store bargains.  Then they get a trip to the cleaners first - unless an afternoon in the sun seems sufficient.