The Sewing Place

July's Brucie Bonus Block - Tumbling Blocks

Iminei

July's Brucie Bonus Block - Tumbling Blocks
« on: July 15, 2020, 06:12:49 AM »
Just for all you lovely BOMer's, July has sprung a

Brucie Bonus Block

This block is a lil challenging, so sit down and read right through before you wield your rotary cutter.
You'll need to channel your inner  :meditation: and think calm and happy thoughts whilst making this.

Remember, for the eager beavers amongst us, that all these blocks need to be  layered and quilted ready to assemble in the Autumn.

There will be at least Twelve 12" blocks for this years BOM:
Some months you will have two blocks to make and some only one ...
and this month you get this bonus one!!!

I want you to have enough blocks so you can choose your favourites, or all of them
and be able to make a 9, 12 or 16 block QAYG quilt!

In October I will guide you through layering and quilting your blocks
and in November I will take you through  assembling them, using a QAYG method,
into a fabulous lap or cot sized quilt (or even a series of comfy cushions.)

And everyone who finishes the year with a completed quilt (or full series of cushions)
will receive an exclusive The Sewing Place Prize Winners Badge or Sew on Patch

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have chosen a monochrome theme with pops of colour for my quilt,
you may choose whatever colourway/theme you like ...
Brights, plains, patterns, pastels, neutrals ... the choice is yours!

As ever when you click on the link, select the first picture,
and click on the i icon to bring up the destructions
on the right side of your screen.

Do read through The Basic Basics Thread before you start.

Please post pics of your blocks each month and by the end of the year we will have a fantastic album for the archives
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 13:19:54 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

Re: July's Brucie Bonus Block
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
Ooooh....lovely!  :loveit:

I've always liked the look of this block but have never tried one before.
Thanks, Imi.  :*

Sandra.
xxx

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »
Oooh, ooh, I love an equilateral triangle, I do. And a nopticalillusion  :loveit:
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 09:19:50 AM »
 :loveit: OOooo how exciting! I'm glad I've been working on my accuracy. I've always loved the look of this but I assumed it had partial or Y seams. WooHoo!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 09:45:12 AM »
I've been digging out fabrics already.  0_0
I'm quick off the starting blocks 'cos I'll have a package of curtain lining arrive some time this morning, and when it's here, I'm going to have to pack all this away and do proper work instead.  :(

Sandra.
xxx

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 09:47:59 AM »
I love this block!  :loveit: Maybe I will be able to catch up, I had a feeling I wouldn't as I have so much to do  :o
Willing but not always able :)

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »
Oooh, 'snice!  I haven't done the first July ones yet though... should be able to catch up when we're not on holiday!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Bjay

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 10:22:17 AM »
I was going to begin this post with oooh oooh but i see everyone else has as well

OH well 'oooh! ooo!'

I have seen this pictured so often and always wondered how to do it. always thought it was beyond me but we shall see

thanks @Iminei
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lisalou1965

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2020, 10:31:47 AM »
 :scream: I am getting behind!!! This month I have an intensive course every morning from 9-2 and all the associated prep in the afternoon. I haven't even started July and of course then I have all the quilting to do - haven't even started. Stressy stressy stress - this is so much fun!  :rolleyes:
And to top it all off we will be in the UK from 6th to 16th August. I will never catch up  :headbang: :faints:
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Lisalou1965

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2020, 10:42:52 AM »
And....breath....
Thanks @Iminei - it is gorgeous and a block I have always wanted to try...if I ever catch up !

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 10:58:55 AM »
Glad I’m not the only one, @Lisalou1965 .  I have no excuse, though.  Haven’t finished June’s yet.   I’m going to do this one first! 

Bjay

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
Just been driving the car - a miracle as itwas the first time since I brke leg in Janueary but I found myself thinking about what fabrics to use as we went along
Hmm perhaps not the best way to think
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Lisalou1965

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 11:17:39 AM »
As we are driving to the UK, I am thinking I could take my cutting mat, rotary and fabric and cut out all of July and August's blocks while there. Maybe MIL will let me sew them on her machine. At least that way I can take the stress out of July, which is a killer month for me

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 11:21:20 AM »
With the 2018 BOMs I slacked off for most of the year and then caught up by doing lots late on - it's a perfectly valid way of working!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 15:35:21 PM »
Im so pleased everyones excited about this ... and if I can make it ... YOU can!

After a couple of false starts due to wrong measurements (in a published pattern... seriously!!! )

I found that by channelling my inner Dalai Llama and sewing calmly whilst thinking happy thoughts about nothing other than sewing ... (No to housework, No to kids, No to cooking, No to husbands ) it was a very rewarding experience (and a BIG thank you goes to @BrendaP  who helped me sort the incorrect measurements)

Just remember ... Accurate 1/4" seam, accurate placement of the triangles and Light, Medium and Dark to achieve your illusion!

Cant wait to see these blocks!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again