The Sewing Place

Spray basting wall?

annieeg

Spray basting wall?
« on: July 16, 2020, 09:43:45 AM »
I'm looking at an FMQ tutorial on YT (Patsy Thompson) and she makes her quilt sandwich on a spray basting wall.
It made me want to ask TSP darksiders how you make your quilt sandwiches and whether you use the 5o5 basting spray or pins ?
 :thinking:

Acorn

Re: Spray basting wall?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:47:42 AM »
On the floor in the conservatory (where I can make enough space), using Crafters' Companion spray adhesive and then curved safety pins at regular intervals.

I can't imagine being able to do it on a wall!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 10:09:10 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 09:54:41 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UoUzK19Vww
I watched the first couple of minutes and since I didn't see one straight line I concluded that it was a terrible idea!  0_0 It looks like a terrible faff to me with newspapers and ceiling tiles.
I lay mine on the table if it small enough or my design floor. I'm still using pins but every time I do I go off and Google the spray.
I think it might be one of those jobs where there are no satisfactory short cuts.  :faints:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:01:32 AM »
On the fully extended (oval, so it keeps trying to excape) dining table, 505 and some judiciously placed safety pins

Nightmare ... loathe the job!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:30:18 AM »
Just spray glue for me... no pins. ... just clag it together and off you go!.. finding a space is the biggest problem. Did it on the kitchen table once.... we were sticking to floor for days!

fajita

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 10:42:47 AM »
I use pins, no spray (though I have an as yet unused can of 505).
I pin on the desks (two desks back to back).

Syrinx

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 14:48:50 PM »
I do it wherever. Sometimes just on my lap.
I use curved quilters safety pins, center out.
I consider the spray frequently but haven't used any yet

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 16:49:43 PM »
I know you can get various types of 'fuzzy' to put on a wall to stick blocks to when planning a quilt but never heard of using one to layer a quilt.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 17:06:21 PM »
It depends how big it is!  Small ones can be done on the dining room table, but big beasts have to be done on the floor and for me the biggest bit of floor space is the spare bedroom with one of the beds pushed underneath the other one. 

I tried the 505 stuff once and had sticky marks on the laminate floor for weeks; just as well as it's not a carpeted floor.  :o
I use lots of curved safety pins.  Rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be able to place your hand down flat without touching a pin.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 22:58:54 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 18:11:05 PM »
I layer on the kitchen work surface, and use spray. I can't use the floor as I can't get down that low. :) I've tried using curved safety pins several times over the years but always find they're much too thick, and leave nasty holes in the pieced top, so now I just stick to the spray or use long quilters' straight pins if absolutely necessary. Only problem with that is I get stuck a lot so have to watch out for bloodstains on the quilt. :S
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 19:01:11 PM »
I do them on the kitchen table with spray.  I try to keep the sticky inside the perimeter and then put safety pins round the edges.
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 19:11:35 PM »
It's been ages since I made a quilt but I use the 505 and  quilting safety pins at the edge.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !