The Sewing Place

But it's brown!

Catllar

But it's brown!
« on: July 16, 2020, 13:29:57 PM »
I have been give a 3 metre length of handwoven fabric, made by a friend's mum. Gorgeous quality but it's brown with a stripe. I loathe brown and the stripes  make me look like an extra from Life of Brian if I made a dress and tie it up with a rope belt and sandals!  :o  I don't know what to do for the best. She'll be expecting to see something made from it.

:thinking:
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

Re: But it's brown!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 14:24:04 PM »
OH dear!  Brown isn't me either.

Being hand woven I'm guessing it will be fairly heavy.  How about a throw and a couple of cushions?  Shoudn't take too long to sew and get it done with.   Maybe a Christmas present for your friend!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 18:35:06 PM »
Now that's a good idea!  0_0 0_0 0_0

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 20:48:55 PM »
Is it a woollen fabric? What sort of weight? Tweed?

@BrendaP that's a clever idea.

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 05:14:27 AM »
Don't know how wide it is, but is there enough for a garment bag and a matching tote for a weekend getaway?

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 16:31:20 PM »
No, it's not tweedy it's cotton, narrow, about 120. I could make something masculine with it in the tote bag line, great ideas, keep em coming! I did make the effort to wash it today so it is ready for whatever.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 20:27:24 PM »
My immediate thought was cushions. Maybe some sort of bag lined with a brightly coloured silk.
 Failing that a tunic a la Life of Brian with accompanying video as a gift.

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 16:31:47 PM »
Actually it is growing on me - I could play with directional stripes - if I made a dress I wouldn't have to worry about having nothing to go with it in the way  of separates. Hmmm.

Cushion covers , totes and throws would work and then I could give them to someone. Most  French people like brown!

Life of Brian tunic still appeals though! Just wish I could post pictures on here to show it to you.  I can't get into Dropbox anymore and that was the only way to get photos from my Samsung phone to my Mac laptop!