The Sewing Place

Fabric join on long Roman blind

dolcevita

Fabric join on long Roman blind
« on: July 16, 2020, 14:09:25 PM »
Can I ask opinions on where to situate the vertical join for a long, deep Roman blind, please? The total width is 175cm, drop 208cm. Either side of this one will be two narrower blinds, same drop, 84cm width. My fabric is 138cm, exc. selvedge.

The fabric is patterned and so the join won't be as obvious on a plain fabric, but I can't decide whether to go asymmetric (in which case I can squeeze another narrow blind from the offcut) or dead centre. The blinds will be lined by blackout fabric so the seam won't be backlit from the windows. My instinct is telling me dead centre, but I need a bit of moral support on this one, please, ladies!

BrendaP

Re: Fabric join on long Roman blind
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 14:14:34 PM »
Can you show us what the pattern on the fabric looks like?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 14:19:25 PM »
It is usual to put half the extra on each side of the central section. Matching the pattern at each side means you get the central section left for your little blind too.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 14:19:46 PM »
This is a bit of sideways thinking, without being able to see the fabric or the window, but could you use a co-ordinating plain fabric at each side to give the extra width? So the join becomes a design feature?
Of course you then have to work out what to do about the side windows.

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 14:28:54 PM »
Thanks,ladies, and super fast replies! I will post a pic of the fabric shortly (after I've finished my bacon sarnie :D) but I think splitting the difference to either side will work well.

dolcevita

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 14:44:31 PM »
Here's a pic of the fabric. It's a large and bold pattern; losing the joins at either side for the large panels will work nicely, I think.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Greybird

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 16:15:06 PM »
I have two in my kitchen with joins. I have matched the fabric across the width so that it isn't obvious. My windows have 3 "bays" and I have placed the join (assymetrically) where the main glazing bars are.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2020, 16:18:07 PM »
Nice fabric!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Esme866

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 17:08:40 PM »
I second (or third?) off-setting the difference to both sides.

I love your fabrics as I love leaf patterns.

I faced a similar dilemma when I reupholstered a small sofa. I was also using a directional leaf pattern and hadn't realized I wouldn't be able to railroad the pattern across the back. I knew to offset the difference. By taking my time to carefully hand baste the pattern matching first, I was shocked when upon completion, the fabric had just enough texture to cause the seams to virtually disappear.

If you can locate your seams on as much of the white leaf color as possible they should be less visible. The seam in the fatter, darker burgundy areas will probably be more noticeable.

If I had enough fabric, I'd play with it a bit. I'd be especially interested in seeing if running a seam thru the leaf stems would work. I'd probably also experiment with thread color and how it worked against the sunlight once a seam was pressed open. This is one of those rare moments when I think a shade of gray might be best.

The thing with the thread is sounding more than a little anal/OCD even to me. But my interior design degree and experience set off my "spidey sense" for some reason - as if I've seen/heard of this as an issue at some point. I tend to listen to my spidey sense it doesn't lead me astray very often.

OTH if these are being lined, maybe it isn't an issue???

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2020, 17:10:16 PM »
I concur with @toileandtrouble 's suggestion of a narrow piece on each side - and try to get the join running down the tree trunks.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2020, 18:54:46 PM »
Many thanks for all the help, ladies. Fortunately, the selvedge runs straight down the centre of one run of tree trunks, so it was an easy match and just needed a bit of precision sewing along that line. I used a straight stitch presser foot, the IDT on my pfaff and some of those Clover double pronged pins. Here's the result on the first long seam. A total of 3 more to go.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 23:51:48 PM »
That join looks pretty good to me. :loveit:

fajita

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 00:03:12 AM »
Practically invisible  :toast:

SkoutSews

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 12:33:06 PM »
Very neat and I love the fabric.

I made 5 roman blinds in total for a bay window (3 needed, 2 narrow, 1 wide) and two sash and case windows.  This was 10 years ago when I was driven to retrieve my sewing machine from the attic when I found out how much it was going to cost to get the damn things made.  I hadn't made any blinds before and learnt 'on the job'.  I know where the mistakes are and find it easy to tell which was the first one I made.  I had it more or less right by the last one and my pattern matching across all five blinds was okay. Everyone who sees them thinks they're great.  I know the truth.

My point is, muggles don't notice these things.

dolcevita

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 20:53:56 PM »
@SkoutSews  - muggles! Love it :D

I started cutting out the lining today. Blackout lining is odd stuff - slightly rubbery on one side. I shall be hard at it tomorrow as my friend arrives to stay for a week on Sunday and her room gets full morning sun. I haven't seen her for over 6 months and I don't want her to boil to death in her bed!