The Sewing Place

Thread delivery gizmo for a vintage machine

Sewot

Thread delivery gizmo for a vintage machine
« on: July 17, 2020, 01:49:17 AM »
I have been doing a lot of reading about thread delivery sytems and the differences between how certain spools are wound ...... Stack or cross wound both of which should be delivered from their spools in different ways.
I have knocked up this Gizmo so that it can deliver cross wound thread as it should...ie from the top of the spool without it turning.
A big thank you to Kwaaked for the education.
The gizmo is designed to be dead simple.
It simply lifts on and off the already fitted spool pin.
It is made from a block of wood to a certain shape, has leather strips on the underside to protect the machine and a tapered dowel pin to accept all my bobbins.
The small ones fit as well.
They just slide on the tapered pin until wedged on.
The pin is set at an angle and correct height to point directly to the first thread guide.
For stack wound bobbins just lift it off and use the existing spool pin.
Simple eh?
Oh!!!
I have added a pin cushion so you dont have to wrap a rag around the machine, poke pins in it and scratch the blazers out of the poor machine!
 :thumbsup:
Pete

Sewot

Re: Thread delivery gizmo for a vintage machine
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 01:54:04 AM »
Heres a few pic hopefully.
I am pressing all the wrong pic buttons so sorry.
Pete

Kwaaked

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 05:47:42 AM »
Very nice!

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »
Okay, with the way the sun is casting a shadow under the new wooden piece you had me REALLY worried. It looks as if you cut a huge hole in the top of the machine for the wood to sit inside of.  :facepalm:

Nice paint job BTW. Which Singer model is this? I'd not noticed the flat top before.

Think I'll stick with the old spool pins and safety pin w/mug for larger cones. Hard to break 50 year old habits.

Sewot

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 07:45:56 AM »
Esme866.
The mug and wire idea is simple and great but I am what you might call an occasional sewer so the largest spool I use is the one you see.
To me thats massive.
I have plenty of time on my hands so a gizmo was born

Its a Singer 201P.
Assembled here in Australia.
Paintwork is original.

Efemera

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 08:22:16 AM »
@Efemera  Neat gizmo, but definitely wouldn't have the tinkering satisfaction factor of Sewot's design. However, apply the basic design to small bits of PVC piping and hmmm........

@Sewot I think this is the first "P" machine I've seen. I'm wondering if the flat top is unique to the P model. Paint is in incredible shape. I should look so good - I'm only a year older.

I only have cones as they were passed down from my Grandmother. However, since creating the safety pin/mug thing, I've not happened upon any thrift store bargain cones. They tend to only be $1 at thrift shops. Can't tell you how many times I've passed up even cones of black in the past.

Good sewing to ya!

Sewot

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:31:26 AM »
PLASTIC PARTS on a Singer 201?
Come on ....where is you sense of decorum??
I have just scrambled from the floor after being mortally wounded and mentally shaken!!!
Seriously though....at one time when I had my fabulous little treadle Pfaff 30, it came with much the same gizmo as the one you refer to but it was made of steel and adjustable in height with a screwdriver.
I didnt realise what it was for until I read Kwakeed's spiel on thread delivery.
I could have made a metal one but I already have wood working machines and it was naturally quicker to shape one out of wood.
I thought of plastic biros for the tubes but then went brain dead again thinking how to join them and keep the spool on.
If anyone else has bright ideas we could make it a mission?
Maybe not as we are all used to our old ways.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 10:03:04 AM »
@Efemera I think this is the first "P" machine I've seen. I'm wondering if the flat top is unique to the P model.

My Aluminium body 201K has a flat top. I think it might just be the Aussie sunshine which makes it show up more.
As you can see I just shove the same Gütermann spool onto the regular spool pin and it's not a problem but if I want to use a cone or a bi-cone I do use a thread stand behind the machine. 
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewot

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
My machine and yours are the same body all made in Great Britain ...well....Kilbowie!!!!
The parts were sent over here and was rebadged to a 201P.
Its the same animal.
Like you say, probs the sunshine telling stories.
Your machine is also lovely Brenda.
I may have gone ott with the thread thing but I have witnessed twisting up in the past but never knew why.