The Sewing Place

Sewing machine mat - where to buy batting?

SingingSinger

Sewing machine mat - where to buy batting?
« on: July 17, 2020, 19:33:58 PM »
I have not done any quilting before but fancied making a sewing machine mat. There are plenty of videos about... but what is this mysterious "batting" they talk about?  :[ Where could I buy some suitable for a small sewing machine mat without buying enough to make a whole quilt? What weight/thickness would be about right?  -< I am bewildered. I thought this was going to be an easy project but I've fallen at the first hurdle!  :thinking:
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Syrinx

Re: Sewing machine mat - where to buy batting?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 19:43:20 PM »
Batting is just another name for wadding.
it comes in many types, poly, cotton, mixed, bamboo etc. It also comes in different lofts which is how thick it is. I imagine a low to mid loft would be fine for a sewing machine mat. Any fabric shop that has quilting cotton will have wadding/batting and they'll cut it in half metres, sometimes even quarter metres so you won't need to buy a tonne of it!

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 20:41:48 PM »
I’ve just bought some from Empress Mills.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 22:25:51 PM »
Consider something else. A fluffy puffy mat under the machine really isn't all that great. I would suggest a cotton or bamboo batt as they are lower left. You can buy prepackaged baby or craft batting which is convenient for small projects.

I would suggest using a layer or two of flannel instead of batting. My favorite small quilt is  just flannel between the layers of cotton. I think it would be ideal for a machine mat.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SingingSinger

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 22:35:31 PM »
That is a thought. Actually I had wondered if I could substitute something else, like flannel or wool.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 23:45:52 PM »
I used a towel that had seen better days. I've no idea where it came from but it was a terrible colour though still in good nick.
Put something non-slip under it!  :S I sewed a button on mine to attach my thread bag.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 23:57:37 PM »
I can understand wanting the pockets that hang from a mat under a sewing machine but I don't think that a fabric mat, with or without wadding (batting if you are in America) would be a good thing.  You would be better using something non-slip like this under the machine itself. 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 01:54:56 AM »
The non slip mats are terrific. I use one under my overlocker to keep it from migrating and to cut the noise down. Here you can get shelf liner like that at the dollar stores. Works well. I just found a mat made with polyester batting seemed a bit spongy.

Having the pockets in front is really nice. I know a couple of gals from the quilt shop had sewing aprons. Cobbler types with the bib and all sorts of pockets. Really handy and they weren't covered in thread snippets after an evening of quilting.

As a total aside I really miss the local quality shop. The owners retired two years ago and I haven't sewn since. I don't have a sewing room and went there 3 times a month for 6-8 hour sewing sessions.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SingingSinger

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 07:09:25 AM »
It's the pockets that attracted me to the idea of a sewing machine mat. It will be for my new-to-me Elna Lotus which I plan to take on holiday with me in my campervan. Keeping scissors and bits and bobs to hand in a small space will help I think. I'll have a hunt through my stash and linen cupboard today and see what I can find. Thanks everyone   :D

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 07:47:27 AM »
I was going to do pockets across the front but I thought they might get in the way. On one of my million trips to the ironing board there was bound to be an incident. I made a little detachable thread bag that can follow me around and is over to my right out of mischief. My plan is to sew more buttons across the front if and when I need them but so far I haven't...mind you it's only been a couple of weeks.  0_0 If you're thinking of travelling with yours a detachable tool kit would be a great idea.

Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 08:44:49 AM »
 I made a quick one using my Overlocker as a practice project for my Overlocker because it used to jump around a bit on the table. I put wadding in mine and I often stick pins in it as I’m removing them.

I love @wrenkins little bits bag. I’m definitely going to make something like that to use with my other sewing machines although I have got the thread catcher attachment on my Overlocker now, which is brilliant.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

SingingSinger

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 12:08:36 PM »
Great ideas and inspiration there, thank you. I searched around at home and found an old Laura Ashley cushion cover, quilting cotton weight, and an old (shop bought) pram quilt which I cut out the wadding from. I have made a mini machine mat with pockets which may fit the bill for the Elna Lotus in the campervan. If not, it was good practice and the first ever time I have used the walking foot which came with my Brother machine!

I fancy making one for my sewing room and full sized machines now!

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 14:54:59 PM »
I've got a lovely one that I bought on Ebay. (Not my machine)

Unfortunately it moved around too much, especially with a sew steady table.  In the end I moved it under a 16kg machine, where it doesn't move at all.  I am afraid I also  bought a thread tidy off Ebay as well, what you might call a best buy.  I'm not really interested in messing with things like this unless I am absolutely forced.

Personally I don't think they charge enough as quite a bit of work and thought goes into them.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 15:56:27 PM »
@Gernella your fabric is the same as mine in a different colour!  0_0