The Sewing Place

Well Hardly professionally .. but giving it a go ...

Iminei

Well Hardly professionally .. but giving it a go ...
« on: July 18, 2020, 07:33:14 AM »
I am going to GIVE IT A GO!!!!

After months of wallowing, today is the day!

Early this year a thread came up in my towns local onlline site calling for local artisans (I suppose) and offering space to rent in a soon to open shop, slap bang in the middle of town to which I responded.

The idea was to rent a shelf, a unit or space within this shop to display and sell your wares ... I thought I could do that so responded to the owner.

I showed my wares and we also discussed hanging a cot quilt behind the sales counter where it could be admired but not touched by sticky hands and displaying and hopefully selling my butterflies ... then the UK was locked down ...

In the last month Ken, the man behind the idea has got the shop ready, filled and he opened on the 1st of this month ... Was I there? Were my wares?? Was I hell!

I suffered as usual from a complete crisis of confidence .....

But TODAY is the day!

I have sewn and attached a temporary Hanging sleeve to the Cowboy quilt ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I have magnetised and found a way to display my butterflies, I have pictured them along with a brief bit of info and (most importantly) their prices in a book for people to peruse,

I have packaged my coasters and found a nice way to display them and today is the day!

I'm not going to devalue my (and Elvistoos) work and am hoping that having somewhere to display my quilts (£££) might lead at least to a sale or perhaps to a commission.

The Initial coasters I'm selling for £12.50 each, the mandala coasters for £10.00 and sewing cases (you might recognise your prototype  @Lilian  ) will be £15.00 small £20.00 Large.

All the small things can be made to order with a lead time of a week, sent direct to the purchaser for £1.50 (thinking daytrippers/holidaymakers here) or collected ...

Im also hoping to set up a small... well tiny ... website as I have finally regained ownership of the name iminei.co.uk which is printed on all my cards ... So people could look through what I do .. and maybe order through there too .

So ..... Today will be the day!

I better post this before I lose my nerve  ... I must be mad!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 07:34:46 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

Re: Well Hardly professionally .. but giving it a go ...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »
Well done @Iminei for taking the big leap.  Its good to have the small items to sell and the quilt looks fabulous - why have I never seen your cowboy quilt?  The backing fabric looks familiar but I've never seen the front.

Very best of luck, you know we'll all be rooting for you.
Life's too short for ironing.

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 07:55:09 AM »
Well it's about time! Well done girl and as Plosh says we're here for you. (J is the most common first initial if you want to get a jump start!)
I can't make you have confidence in yourself and your work but I wish you could find it yourself. Your stuff is great. If you can exhibit to the great and good of the quilting world you can most certainly impress the muggles (I learnt that n here yesterday.   0_0)
All the very best of luck (and strength). <3 :flower:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 07:59:52 AM »
Ah Ploshie and Wrenkies  my loves!

The Cowboy quilt is very old ... made in 2014!!!!

But I have used that brushed cotton backing on the Chinese lantern wall hanging   which started as a BOM and the Mystery Quilt in 2017 ...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 08:02:28 AM by Iminei »

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 08:17:51 AM »
Go girl!  0_0  I'm really pleased for you. Sounds like an ideal outlet to sell your items.

Be confident  :hug: Your work is beautifully done.

Sandra.
xxx

Kwaaked

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 08:24:45 AM »
Congrats and nice displays!

SkoutSews

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 08:28:22 AM »
Well done Imi! It's a great way to put your talent to use.
Wishing you every success.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 08:32:18 AM »
Good luck.. hope it all goes well.

wrenkins

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
Sell them up! I use my coaster as a mouse mat!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:37:28 AM »
I've mentioned that ... I said my friend uses hers as a Mouse mat!!

I'm sure people will get the idea.

Pearl

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 08:37:40 AM »
I cannot tell you how pleased I am to hear this news!  You have so much talent.  I sincerely wish you every success in this.  I’m doing a happy dance.  Go, @Iminei .  You’ve even got a great name for a business. 

And even though I’m not a tactile person, I’m giving you a big virtual  :hug:

Flobear

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 08:50:26 AM »
Brilliant! Well done that woman  :thumbsup: 

I will have to hie me to the Forum in DDD during the height of the tourist season and exclaim gushingly over your wares. I shan't require any commission  0_0
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Sheilago

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 08:59:05 AM »
Excellent @Iminei. Hope you get lots of sales: your things are beautiful. Good idea to have smaller things as impulse buys. Good luck  :D

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2020, 09:05:53 AM »
Well done, your confidence will rise as you get sales and orders through.  It also gives you an excuse to purchase more fabric :devil:

Lachica

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »
Good for you! They're lovely. I hope you sell lots.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.