The Sewing Place

Hello from South Carolina, USA

steve_h

Hello from South Carolina, USA
« on: July 18, 2020, 18:33:00 PM »
Hi everyone

I learned to sew from my mom back in the 70's. She had a Singer vibrating shuttle treadle machine and had just purchased a nice electric with zig-zag capabilities. At that time, she made some of our clothes and always made curtains, covers for stuff, did hand embroidery, etc. She was raised right at the end of our great depression in the 30's and 40's so she learned very early not to waste anything and do everything you could yourself.

It didn't take long for my mom to figure out with my mechanical aptitude that I could probably oil and clean her machines as well or better than she could. I got to oil and clean the machines all the time. It didn't take more than 1 look to figure out how it worked and how the different adjustments changed things mechanically. Once I understood the operation and settings/adjustments, actually putting in the stitches and following a pattern was easy for me. I did all her maintenance and the very few repairs that we ever needed on her machines. I fine tuned everything to work great. For some reason, I was the only one in the house who could make a good button hole.

I got to sew on the electric a good bit one summer when she broke her arm and had some stuff that had to be finished. I was never fortunate enough to be able to use the treadle. At 10, I just couldn't coordinate getting it going the right direction all the time and could barely reach the pedal with my tip toes. It was my great grandmother's machine. I wish I still had it today. My sister inherited her place when she died and promptly got rid of all that "old, useless" stuff.

Over the years, I have made a few motorcycle seat covers, a few dresses for girlfriends (no idea why I didn't get pictures of them wearing them) and ended up machine-less about 20 years ago.

I bought a very nice Morse 2300 Deluxe back in Feb from a thrift for $15 in almost pristine condition. All it needed was a good cleaning and oiling. Sews like a dream. Very smooth and quiet. Straight stitch only, though. It came with a box of attachments including a ruffler (never seen or used one before. Always did by hand if needed), a zipper foot, a darning foot, screwdriver, needles, bobbins, a can of oil, and some thread. Nice setup for the little I paid.

I don't know that I will do anymore clothing. It's just not cost effective these days unless something very expensive. I will be making some seat covers. I have found that as I get older, with a few medical conditions, that I don't enjoy as much or can't do all the stuff outside that I once did. It's very frustrating. My mind says yeah lets do this. My body says are you crazy...this is gonna take all week instead of a few hours like years ago.

I have always enjoyed sewing and now that I have a machine again, will probably get into quilting. I have finished a quilt top for my new grandson. Hope to complete the quilt soon. I quite enjoyed hand embroidery/needlepoint years ago too. Made a few things. Table runners mostly.

I don't know how much I will be posting on here. There doesn't seem to be much I can ad. I have been avidly reading posts all over the forum and really enjoying seeing what everyone is doing. I learn so much from reading everyone's posts that most questions I may have are answered already if I just find the right post. It looks like everyone out here has way more experience than me. So, this place is a little like an interactive "reference book" for finding out what to do or how to do it.

I didn't get the creative genes for some reason. I got the analytical, logical genes. Give me a pattern and instructions, no problem. Tell me to come up with a pattern or layout, unless there is a very specific set of guidelines, i'm not much help.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 18:38:06 PM by steve_h »

Surest1tch

Re: Hello from South Carolina, USA
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2020, 18:48:29 PM »
Hi @steve_h, welcome from me too  :D

Kenora

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2020, 18:55:55 PM »
And a very warm welcome from me as well @steve_h . :flower:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 19:10:40 PM »
Welcome from me to @steve_h  :drink:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2020, 19:17:20 PM »
Hi Steve, welcome! I'm almost next door in TN.

Your sewing journey is quite interesting - a boy - in the south - in those years. (Seem like my same years)

My nephew is 23, B.S.M.E., and has always been drawn to various forms of needle work. He keeps it rather on the "down low" still to this day. We sneak and talk things sewing. I'm hoping to take him shopping soon, he doesn't even know how to buy a dress shirt. So much to teach and learn.

Good to have you here!

steve_h

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2020, 19:57:53 PM »
Thank you everyone for the welcomes.

@Esme866 I know what you mean. My mechanical abilities meant that the sewing was not a big deal. It's all parts whether aluminium, steel, nuts and bolts, wood and nails, fabric and thread. I could already rebuild lawn mower engines, repair bicycles, do simple woodworking at that age. It amazes me how much the younger people these days really don't know or really seem to care to know. Like buying a dress shirt. My youngest is 18. I keep telling him you have to learn to do things for yourself. I'm not always going to be around to help you.
Glad to see someone from close to me here too.

Life is a learning process. I feel for the person who thinks they know everything.

I'm happy to be here. It looks like there is lots of knowledge and experience here and a very helpful, friendly attitude.

fajita

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 20:03:13 PM »
Welcome @steve_h  :drink: :flower:

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2020, 20:07:31 PM »
Hi @steve_h and welcome!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Mr Twingo

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2020, 20:16:34 PM »
Hello, and welcome, steve_h.

Loved reading your post – very interesting. I admire you for daring to try quilting, but as you rightly say, "Life is a learning process. I feel for the person who thinks they know everything." I couldn't agree more! That's a great quote.

Mr Twingo

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 20:19:33 PM »
Welcome @steve_h from another Merican. Practically neighbors,  I'm out in sunny (hot) California. You're so fortunate to be able to work on the machines. Anything that involves electricity I am very cautious around, always remembering that I could electrocute myself.  :rolleyes:

Changing health does change things. I developed a heart problem after getting a virus about 6 years ago that almost did me in. At first I was so weak I could barely hold a drinking glass. I'd been an avid gardener and found myself quite angry about the sudden lack of ability. I've grown stronger and adapted as one must. In the beginning it took me days to sew anything. One or two small seams and I was done for the day.

We love hearing from everyone about whatever they're up to. We have the  today thread where you can just say hi I got groceries today or finished the laundry. With so many of us pretty much staying at home 24/7 it's nice to have another resource of friendly people to communicate with. If you have questions about anything ask away. Lots of quilters here and you would be very welcome in the Dark Side. 
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Efemera

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2020, 20:43:33 PM »
Hello there...

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 23:14:40 PM »
Hello and welcome!

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 09:29:47 AM »
High @steve_h and welcome.  I hope we can help in due course.

Sewot

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 10:58:38 AM »
Hi Steve.
I am new too.
You have just clicked on a whole heap of friends with the same interests.
If you become a subscriber to help us out then you can post pics of your handywork.
Certainly , I for one would like to see what you do.
Always something to contribute!
Pete