The Sewing Place

Sewing Machine not working correctly after using overstitch

Kayfersmum

Hi

So here's a weird one  :headbang:

I'd been using my New Home 691 very successfully, yet I've come across a problem that is frustrating me like mad and preventing me from sewing today
“I always wanted to be happy, so I decided to be.“

coffeeandcake

Re: Sewing Machine not working correctly after using overstitch
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
I would suggest making sure the bobbin area is clean and give a drop of oil if that's usual maintenance.  Rethread the machine, change needle.  I used to have a New Home (different model and a Friday afternoon machine) and the manual advised changing stitch type, stitch length and width in a particular order.

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 13:28:13 PM »
It sounds almost like it thinks it is doing a buttonhole - but don't ask me how to fix it!

Kayfersmum

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 13:28:55 PM »
Thank you

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 13:29:30 PM »
Like a lot of computerised things sometimes all you have to do is turn it off, count to ten and turn it back on again.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 13:30:52 PM »
How does the selection work? Is it mechanical and if so could you have a sticky lever? It hasn't quite unselected the last thing??? Like when your handbrake sticks on even after you've released the handle.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Elnnina

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 13:55:51 PM »
Whilst I have never even used a New Home machine, what you are describing sounds a bit similar to how my Elna Su (1975) works for doing an overcast edge which is formed by using a drop in double disc(cam) which in conjunction with setting first a wheel inside the top of the machine to A, and then the dial on the front to Automatic and moving the width to a number between 1-4.  This particular disc when used in the machine and changing the settings slightly, i.e. the width remains at 0,  then performs a triple straight stretch stitch - the needle moves one stitch forward then goes back over that stitch and then comes forward again over the two stacked up stitches before moving on and repeating.  Your example of straight stitching looks just like that.  By the way this triple straight stretch stitch is so useful for sewing seams like the crotch seam and the armhole seam when setting in sleeves - the stitch doesn't pop under strain and movement.

So my suggestion is to take a deep breath and go and sit back in front of the machine, and just go through mentally what you had to do in the first place to set the machine up to do the overstitch - probably several different but important stages, and then try and reverse what you did in the first place.  Obviously the selection you used to select the stitch in the first place, or was it a drop in cam needs to be set back or if a cam removed.  If you also had to set the machine to automatic, that needs to be set back to normal, so would the width selector if you have one, and anything else that you had to move in the first place, and then try and see what it is doing.

If the machine hasn't been used for a very long time, and as others have suggested a sticky lever/switch, try using a hair drier to warm up the troublesome area/areas and they may well work.  If this is the case and the warm air clears the problem ensuring that any levers/switches have fully returned to normal, then may I suggest you take this machine for a service and see how you do with that.  I know this doesn't solve the immediate problem, but if something is sticking, unless it is serviced and checked over it will likely continue.  However with what has been going on in the country at the moment with the lockdown, trying to find a mechanic that can do this and reasonably quickly may be difficult.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 14:10:43 PM »

Thanks everyone, some really great advice.  A little time out and following your steps appears to have done the trick :thumbsup:

I've sent my OH off to find me some oil and we will start to give the machine a little tlc that I think is long overdue.  It hasn't been used much, but is quite old so maybe it would benefit from a service too.   Will look into this next week.

Have a great rest of the weekend  :hug:

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 14:51:53 PM »
So glad to read that you have got it sorted out.  Yes I am sure it will appreciate a little TLC, and also keep it in a warm place especially during the winter, i.e. in a room that has a radiator on and working.

From memory a friend on seeing my Elna was wanting a sewing machine, and ended up buying a New Home one and I believe that had drop in cams, it also had a chain stitch, but you had to do something weird in order to create the chain stitch.  Her machine was bought from a Department Store rather than a dedicated sewing machine shop.

Now just enjoy your venture into sewing - I am sure your machine will appreciate you using it and looking after it.  I still use my Elna now even although I have other machines, it will be out very soon as I am going to go scalloping yards and yards of frilling and only the Elna can do this.

Esme866

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2020, 14:57:09 PM »
@Kayfersmum Not sure when you last posted (time difference?), but while your OH is out, he should probably pick up some grease, too. It's the first thing that came to my mind.

As I've recently posted, a couple of years ago, I was sewing fine on my 30 year old Kenmore one day, and the next it would only straight stitch. Had to open up the area of the machine not covered in the user manual. The gears had a grayish, beige-y, white grease which I recognized as lithium. It's great stuff, but after 20 to 40 years even it needs a refresh.

Not sure of the age of your machine, so it could be a different type of grease.

Good luck!

Kayfersmum

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2020, 15:55:52 PM »

Hubby didn't have to go far, he's an engineer so our garage was the perfect place to start!  My sewing machine has now had the tlc it deserves.  Who knew the inside of a sewing machine looked like that?!

We think the machine is about 37 years old, a Christmas present from my parents when I was in my early teens.  If my memory is correct, I have used it maybe 10 times during all those years  :o  It's definitely never been oiled, so it's smiling at me now and thanking me for it! xx

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2020, 18:36:29 PM »
Another thought that has popped into my head Kayfersmum and that is do you have drop in cams for decorative stitching?  If you do how and where are they kept?  I have found the lovely Ferrero  Rocher Chocolate boxes ideal for standing my Elna discs in, and have them in numerical order and with card partitions between the rows - this stops them from getting damaged just lying in the accessory box - well I have far too many for them to be kept in the  original box, and of course moving them out of the box I had more room for the feet etc. to go in.  Also the Ferrero Rocher  flat boxes are useful for keeping some of the the flatter accessories in like the  monogram set, circular sewing device and often these boxes fit easily into a drawer.

So glad that you have managed to grease/oil the machine in places that particularly need it, it will really thank you for that.  One other tip when you are sewing, I presume in order to do what you wanted yesterday that you followed the instructions in the manual, you can always use some Post it Notes and stick this to the machine saying that you have set it up for whatever you are doing - particularly if you get interrupted and called away to cook dinner,  Don't forget to keep a stock of needles, they need changing frequently, approximately  after each garment sewn - a blunt needle will not do you nor the fabric and machine any favours.  May be also a good idea to never leave the machine plugged in to the electricity when you leave the room - bearing in mind the age of your machine, you do not want it going off sewing on its own due to something or other in the foot control - I believe it is something to do with the capacitors.

I believe New Home were the forerunners to Janome, so if you need parts etc. that is the place to start.

Now go and have fun.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2020, 21:59:41 PM »
@Kayfersmum I had my New Home for over 30 years and always found it very temperamental. I replaced it about 7 or 8 years ago with a modern Singer, which introduced me to a more modern and lighter machine but really wasn't very good in terms of stitch consistency. I sold that on in fairly short order and bought a Pfaff quilt ambition 2, which was really lovely and really did everything I needed but I wanted additional gadgets so have since upgraded.
I imagine it is probably difficult for you to get out to test drive machines so I would recommend making a list of features that you must have and those that you'd like to have and perhaps calling somewhere like Sewing Machines Direct (popular amongst many TSPers) and they will spend time talking through machines with you.

Kayfersmum

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 11:56:50 AM »

I had to look up what drop in cams were @Elnnina and I discovered I don't have them! Great idea about the post it notes as I often need to stop mid project.  I definitely need to remember change the needle more often. 

I came across a sewing machine parts online store - sewingparts.co.uk.  You enter the machine number and it shows all the parts available.   I was impressed that although old in years, parts are still available.  Wish there was a website where I could order new parts for my own body!  0_0

@coffeeandcake Great minds think alike  ;) My machine wish list is getting longer every day!  I've now started two columns - 'must haves' and 'like to have'.  I'm hoping that the list doesn't get too long so that when I'm in a position to upgrade I don't get disappointed by not having the budget to match  0_0

Stay safe xx

Elnnina

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 15:07:43 PM »
Whilst things are still fairly fresh in your mind as to what happened and then how you solved the problem Kayfersmum, why not have a note book nearby that you can write down what happened and then how you solved it.  You never know it may happen again.  Also useful as you progress with your sewing, is to write down any particular settings you are using, and perhaps attach small samples of what you were doing just for reference.

For example I always, always do a test buttonhole first on scraps before doing them for real on a garment.  However I have one particular machine (a fancy machine at that) that is able to memorize the settings after the first buttonhole is stitched and then repeat it again and again for as long as necessary, that way you get absolutely identical buttonholes.  Well my trial buttonhole did not go according to plan, and instead of just one trial run I had about 20, and I was beginning to tear my hair out with frustration.  Then one day I was in a fabric and machine shop and the owner was playing Saturday Girl, as the real girl was absent.  He was quite enjoying his encounters with his customers.  They were not busy and I took the opportunity to ask him about my troublesome buttonholes, and he mentioned that on my particular machine I had a sensor built into the machine but is totally hidden up above near where the needle goes up and down, and this particular sensor needs to be kept free of dust and particles of debris caused by the constant needle going in and out of fabric.  There is also a corresponding sensor attached to the side of my buttonhole foot - that one is easy to clean, but how do you get to the one hidden.  My answer is a dental mirror, and a box of cotton buds and some microfibre duster strips wound round the cotton bud.  This works a treat, and another lady here on TSP Nevis5 was also having problems on a newer machine to mine, in fact her machine had been back to her dealer, and when she tried making sure the hidden sensor was clean she got perfect identical buttonholes.  Now her dealer who also happens to be my dealer as well did not know of this - so it just goes to show we do and can learn something everyday.  By the way the machine I am talking about is a Bernina - mine is an Artista 200 that is computerised and also has an embroidery attachment.

Now I also have another older Bernina 830 Record which was my mother's machine - bought the same year as I bought my Elna.  Now some would argue that there is no need to have multiple machines, - have to admit I only had one up until I inherited the 830 Record, and now I have added an old vintage 1925 hand crank machine, and also a Singer 201-2 treadle, plus I have two overlockers.

So do go and make a list of what you think you need, what you think you would like, and then what you can afford.  If you can get to a machine dealer there are bound to be some trade in machines, some excellent ones, some computerized, some mechanical, don't be rushed into deciding on one, make sure you can sit and play with it in the shop, if necessary take some fabrics that you know you are going to be using to try out.  The trade in machines often come with a guarantee, they will have been serviced as well and sometimes this is a good way of getting a better, newer machine at a price you can avoid.  A lot of today's machines are rather plasticised and are not partcularly heavy and can then walk on the table when actually sewing. Of course some of the older machines are still metal based and are much heavier, some come in cases, others just have a plastic cover to cover them.   Some places will offer a part exchange system particularly on buying brand new.  My advise would be to hold on to your current machine, as there does come a time when it is going to be useful especially in a newer machine has to go away for servicing.

People here on TSP will all have their favourite machines and also lots of advice, so do't be afraid of asking questions.  Occasionally people will also be selling a machine, so another opportunity to get a tried and tested machine.  There are lots of places on the internet that are offering deals, some seem too good to be true, but are in fact to be avoided at all costs, so do go back and read through the threads on sewing machines and you will find these.  However there are a few really good outlets that others have used and used again and again.

May I wish you lots of luck i choosing a new to you machine whether it is brand new or a trade in one and then have fun.