The Sewing Place

Today I was mulling things over......

Lowena

Today I was mulling things over......
« on: July 19, 2020, 15:37:53 PM »
.....and I wondered what had happened to everyone's temperature quilt, which we made last year?
Did they all get finished?
Have they been used?
Mine was finished, as I can't bear ufos but it lies languishing in a bag in the boxroom.
I doubt it will ever be used, largely due to its size, but it is interesting to look at the temperatures we had last year.
Although it is effectively banished to storage, I won't get rid of it as I enjoyed the making and it's a snapshot of history.
Where is your quilt now?
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

Re: Today I was mulling things over......
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 15:57:03 PM »
Hanging up in months waiting to be quilted!   :P
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2020, 16:13:55 PM »
@Iminei why aren't I surprised? :P

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2020, 16:20:56 PM »
Dont want to disappoint you hon x

Its not as if Ive got anything else to do ...

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 16:30:06 PM »
In that case, @Lowena, you won't be surprised to hear that mine is stuck in June.  It won't be very big, though, so will hang on the wall when it is finished, even if it is in the sewing room.

(I.I'm gobsmacked !!!! ) :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 18:08:57 PM by Lowena »

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 17:24:55 PM »
'...what happened to the temperature quilt?...'

I can show you where mine is.  :S

It's been hanging here for a few months now. I have backing fabric and I might have some wadding...(or I might have just cut into that for the BOM's...not sure.) But I haven't quite found the courage to try to quilt it.
Maybe it'll happen now I've started to learn how to do a bit of quilting through the BOM's...

Maybe?

Sandra.
xxx

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2020, 18:07:20 PM »
Has anybody finished theirs?????

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 19:41:13 PM »
Nope! because I didn't start one :angel:; I knew such a long term project wouldn't get finished.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2020, 20:17:58 PM »
Mine got as far as a column of temperatures written in a notebook  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 09:33:45 AM »
That's gorgeous Sandra.... 

Pearlipops and I were wondering about exhibiting the temperature quilts from TSP as a group effort in Festival this year. Im glad we didnt pursue that BUT we could enter next year couldnt we????

The idea came about as mine would be so big sewn together and Pearls was a diddy one, youve got the medium range one and I know there are others out there @Lowena @Sakar  @anybodyelse ???

Pic Lowena ??????  Ha ha found it ...  :devil:

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

We could do this, having the extra time to catch up, what with 2020 being such a disaster and all ... mine was finished in the first week of 2020 ... Just not assembled!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:42:07 AM by Iminei »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 09:50:00 AM »
@Sandra dear Sandra that is quite lovely and deserves to be finished. I quite like it. What has absolutely caught my eye is that miniature cabinet on the left in that photo. The one that appears filled with miniature books.  :scream: Please dish. I really need to know the story about the wonderful cabinet.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2020, 10:00:28 AM »
Mine is not fit for exhibiting. I just cobbled together a backing from a cheap fleece throw and bagged it to get it finished.
I didn't bother too much as it's just a private record for myself.

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2020, 11:02:00 AM »
@Renegade Sewist  My Dad made it.  :) Just because he felt like it and he had some wood which he could use which would be just right for the job.

He's not a woodworker and has never worked in that type of employment. It's just been a hobby for him.

As you can see, the front hinges down. This is backed with leather...as a writing desk would have.  8) There are little drawers and cubby holes inside.
He made it when my daughter was quite young. When we used to visit, she would wander off into the front room and she'd be found opening the drawers on this little thing and looking at the books. He brought it round here and gave it to her a few years ago.
It stands just over a metre tall. The two-door base is completely separate to the main item. Not sure why it stands on that, but that's how he made it, so that's how it is for now.

I hope my daughter treasures it and keeps it forever to pass it on. It's unique.

He has a hand made grandfather clock at his house..he made the workings too on that... and I have an oak writing desk which he made which stands in my hall. There's a dolls wardrobe, chest of drawers and a four-poster bed upstairs, and in the attic there is my little Welsh dresser which he made for me about 45 years ago.

Not just woodwork. He was also a keen model engineer. He's given me one of his traction engines.  :S His steam train is in his front room and his larger scale traction engine is at my brothers house.  0_0

Sandra.
xxx

Celia

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 12:37:04 PM »
Wow that piece of furniture is beautiful, what a talented Dad.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 20:40:45 PM »
@Sandra thank you so much for sharing the story. I wondered if it had been made by a dad or grandfather in the family. The story is even better than I had hoped for. What an amazingly talented father you have. Lucky you!
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.