The Sewing Place

Neckline help and ideas

Starryfish

Re: Neckline help and ideas
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2020, 13:19:00 PM »
I have narrow shoulders, so if making a fitted dress or jacket I have to make the shoulder seam about 1/2" narrower. Also as I have very little flesh on my upper chest I have to pinch out a small dart on the pattern piece to make the neckline or lapels lie flat. I agree with @BrendaP that a toile will save a world of pain. I always make one for a new pattern that will use expensive fabric or require a lot of detailed work, i.e jackets, coats, fitted dresses.

Once you have a toile done, a new pattern will take much less time to alter. I also agree that going by upper bust size and then doing an FBA is the correct way.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

rachel

Re: Neckline help and ideas
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 18:57:52 PM »
Thanks again to all for the replies and suggestions.  This is in progress - I tested the smaller size of the same pattern and it gaped less, but still gaped a bit - I wondered about going down another size then trying a FBA but decided it might be worth, instead, learning how a pattern is put together in the first place - it might help me spot potential problems in the future.

So, I watched some videos, took some measurements and tried some drawing. It's not quite there yet, but I think that in the piece I'm practising on I have enough scope to let out, take in, adjust a bit more until I get something I'm happy with.

I hoped to finish today because school starts tomorrow and after that I'll have less time on my hands but it hasn't worked out like that.  :[