The Sewing Place

Imi and Elvistoo makes

Iminei

Imi and Elvistoo makes
« on: July 20, 2020, 10:51:20 AM »
Well I wanted to have a play yesterday and try a design bundle I bought a while ago ...
I also wanted to try a variegated thread but the Madeira ones, as well as only being on 200m spools, have only got a 3 colour variegation.

I remembered I bought a set of 14 V. threads a long time ago but had found them to be very thin ... yes they were Machine embroidery threads ... so had never really used them.

These threads are quite interesting ... Most of the bands round them others 'Classic' and 'Guaranteed Fast Colour' ... some say 'Art Silk Embroidery Thread' as well and there is just one whose band  says 'VICO Chiken' ...  'Manufacturer Sultan Traders ... Plot no F499A S.I.T.E. Karachi' !!!!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

No colourway on the reels so I took one loaded up the design, gasped when he told me it was a 75 minute stitch out and proceeded ... tentatively as Elvistoo has only sewn with Madiera and Marathon before to stitch.

After the stitchout ended I had two more squirlies and called it good ... Its an enormous 20" square and I thought it might look nice on a nice quality pillowcase .. but maybe not that bright ... The other threads, again with no indication of colour vary from more subtle to strong

and this is the thread that stitched it ...

« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:51:09 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Imi and Elvistoo makes
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:07 AM »
The colours are very different once stitched - the reels look like various shades of brown and brown!

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 10:55:54 AM »
Variegated threads like that are always fun to play with - surprise colours!

I have some mandela type designs that I'd love to do with variegated threads but yet to get around to it - no plans that include them

Flobear

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 14:00:10 PM »
Just out of interest, @Iminei  , if someone had a design they wanted stitched out, would it be possible for Elvistoo to scan it or something and then stitch it?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 14:07:52 PM »
If you have the embroidery design (PES) .. yes ... just bung it on a USB stick and I can plug it into Elvistoo ... Easy peasy

If its just a design on paper, then you'll need it digitised which costs a few pounds and might or might not come out in the quality you want ... unless you know the digitizer personally or from reputation.

Im afraid I cant digitize ...  but There are so many designs out there to buy ...

What are you think of?

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 14:08:25 PM »
Usually if it isn't already an embroidery file you'll have to digitise it (like I do) and then convert it into a format readable by the machine to stitch out.

I get dragged into doing that a lot haha and spend quite a bit of time digitising random stuff for people - like this prawn and then resized it for this and this It took soooo long to digitise and get all the layers in the right order but I love how it turned out.

I'm of the opinion if you can send me what you want I can usually make it. But there are lots of designs free/purchaseable for those who don't digitise themselves
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 14:10:22 PM by Syrinx »

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 14:17:03 PM »
I didnt know you digitized Syrinx .. and we're such old friends arent we ???  :hug:

Dont panic Mr Mainwaring ... Im not after anything (yet;)

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2020, 14:57:31 PM »
Hahaha I do indeed. I tend to keep it quiet because non embroiderers don't understand the time and effort going in. A friend asked me to embroder a bunch of gilets for her. And then gave me her business card with the logo on so I hand to freehand it in my software and purchase the exact same font. Took an age! But it stitched out ok, I like the big complicated stuff like the prawn - I need to do a banana one for my horse. I have a bunch of gymwear to do and I'll have to freehand it again I think as the file I was sent of the logo is useless.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 17:04:59 PM »
Oooh, @Syrinx , you're a good friend of mine too, aren't you?  No, don't worry, I won't really be expecting you to digitise anything for me  :P :P

I'd love to get into digitising myself, but I think I'm past learning these days.  I just do fairly simple changes in whichever version of Embrilliance I have.

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 17:36:32 PM »
@Iminei  I was thinking about my lotus tattoo. I have the original design not filled in. I'll have a chat with a woman I know who is sure to know about this digitising stuff. She had, until recently, a business embroidering logos etc and also posh stuff like robes for Town Criers.

@Syrinx , I love the prawn  :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 17:39:46 PM by Flobear »

Syrinx

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 18:26:02 PM »
Hahahaa You are all my friends. If I can help, let me know. It's really quite therapeutic digitising. Very satisfying.

I love the prawn too! It looks great on the horse too, still going strong and always gets great compliments at competitions!

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
@Flobear

embilibrary

urban threads

These are the two sites I use (but there are tons of others) anything there you fancy????

Sewgorgeous

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 00:47:33 AM »
Hahahaa You are all my friends. If I can help, let me know. It's really quite therapeutic digitising. Very satisfying.

Can I ask what software you use please?  I have just done a 30 day trial of Wilcom Hatch2 and liked it, didn't quite find it therapeutic as you say but thats because I need to learn how to use it  :S 

Syrinx

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 07:01:45 AM »
I use Embird. Though I haven't paid to upgrade to the 2020 version - I'm still using the 2017 edition which works perfectly well.

There are lots of software options about, but I really like Embird, they do offer a free trial I think that lasts 30 days or 100 projects.

Flobear

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2020, 16:38:15 PM »
Meant to say that Mr Bear was thrilled with his Initial coaster thingy. He says it makes him feel 'royal'  :thumbsup:

In case there are folks reading who don't know what they're like, it's these

Initial coasters

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 16:42:12 PM by Flobear »