The Sewing Place

Purchasing A Second Hand Machine

geewizz00

Purchasing A Second Hand Machine
« on: July 20, 2020, 18:29:19 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to sewing looking at a second hand Janome atelier 3 from ebay, which is out of warranty. It says"new condition" but an additional £190 can buy new with warranty - I'm wondering if it's worth the extra £190.

In particular, I would be interested to understand types of issues you've found with your machines and how much is a sensible amount to budget for repairs.

And would also be grateful for any advice when buying sewing machines from ebay?

Thanks in advance!

Ellabella

Re: Purchasing A Second Hand Machine
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 18:46:16 PM »
For my money the extra money to get a new machine with a full warranty would be money well spent. 

You will get peace of mind and know if something does go wrong it will be sorted, providing you buy from a reputable dealer, there are some dealers you should avoid.

Buying a secondhand electronic machine is a very different proposition from buying an older mechanical machine that can be restored by a talented enthusiast. There are many people on here who have done wonderful restorations.

I would only buy a secondhand electronic machine if I knew it’s history.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 18:49:19 PM »
I think it’s just a matter of pot luck. I don’t think I’d be paying that kind of money for a warranty ..Is it a business that’s selling?.. there’s a few dodgy sellers out there.

Esme866

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2020, 20:11:34 PM »
What kind of sewing are you doing and why are you looking for a machine?

If I were to buy a pricey electronic machine, new or used, I would only purchase from a nearby dealer - with an excellent reputation - that could provide the service I needed. I would also only buy it if I knew I would be able to afford any potential repairs. (New motherboard 18 months from now after the warranty expires?)

If you purchase from ebay, chances of damage during shipment at any time is an issue - even if you have a wonderful dealer.

In the interest of honesty, I only have mechanicals and I would only buy electronic if I was certain I could afford it and only for embroidery purposes. I would also know not to expect it to last more than 15 years - and that would be with luck.

As a new sewist, its importance to realize that it is virtually impossible for a sewing machine to take the place of human skill. All the bells and whistles do not take the place of skill - they are simply a few conveniences and extra fun.

If you're making clothing, a computerized machine adds little value to the construction process - it's all about skill - so long as whatever machine you are using is working properly.

I believe it's important for a newbie to have a machine that is performing well. If you're currently working on a problematic vintage machine, a new trouble free mechanical could make a huge difference to your enjoyment factor. Just having a built in buttonhole is amazing.

Then in a few years when that one dies - or not - you can be better informed as to which way to go for your next purchase.

This is just my two cents worth, FWIW.

With all ebay purchases - no matter what I'm buying - I ask myself this: Can I afford the total loss of this money if I get taken.

And yes, I have tossed a brand new pair of counterfeit  shoes in the trash. It happens.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2020, 20:48:54 PM »
I buy a lot of fabric from eBay ( :devil:) but I wouldn't buy a sewing machine from eBay. I think I would only buy second hand if it was from a trusted friend. I definitely think it is always worth having the warranty. I agree with @Esme866 you don't need an electronic machine for dressmaking - although I would argue that you need a machine which does a one step buttonhole!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Sewot

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 21:12:25 PM »
Well said Esme866.
So true.
My thoughts exactly.
I have a bells and whistles Singer Plus one with hundreds of stitches...
Gues what?
I don't use them.
It sews a nice button hole but apart from that I don't even like it.
Much prefer my 201.

Pete

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 06:49:40 AM »
Another thing to keep in mind at the moment....

Due to Covid, sewing machines are literally selling like hot cakes- most especially on ebay.

Since realizing my girl is all metal on the inside, I now want to find a donor machine for any future needed parts. Of course I haven't seen one in a local thrift since then, but they are still selling around $40 or less around the country via Goodwill.

I paid $249 for the machine in '89 or '90. They are now listing on ebay for $249. The model above mine was $299 on sale back then, and its listing at $299 on ebay today.

Even local Craigslist vintage machines are listing for wild prices.

Mr Twingo

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:26:39 AM »
I would pay the extra. The peace of mind of knowing your machine comes with 'health insurance' is more than worth it.

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 07:36:30 AM »
Any decent business selling reconditioned machines would offer a years guarantee for free...go to a dealer.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 08:37:34 AM »
@geewizz00  ...

You havent mentioned a price range? What you are looking to sew? whether you are willing to travel to collect?

Your locale says Guildford ... Theres a shop called Sewmaster there that stocks multiple manufacturers, mostly German/Swiss brands which are good but come with hefty price tags.  would
Could you call up and book a test drive on a couple of different brands to find out what you like the best ?

Of course they will want you to buy ... but if you cant afford new or reconditioned from them, just take your test drives and say you need to think about it/discuss any purchase with your husband/mother/friend before you commit.

This way you will have had experience of a few different machines and how they handle, the feel of them and the features and accessories that come with them.

One brand Sewmaster dont stock is Janome sadly ... Can you take a daytrip to Salisbury to Visit Franklins ???

They stock a whole other range of brands including Janome, Brother, Juki etc ... Again ask for a test drive on a few different machines ... and again .. leave the shop saying you need to think unless you find the perfect machine for both you and your wallet!

£190 for a years warranty sounds excessive to me ... Looking on ebay there seems to be only one A3 available .. ex demo from a dealer with two year warranty and its quite a hefty price ... Is this the one you are looking at?

As for Opinions on Janome ... for sewing Im a Janome girl through and through and have upgraded over the years from a 525sewist to an Atelier7 ... I never had a 3, went straight to the 5 and I loved it, almost as much as I love my glorious A7.

Do let us know how you get on.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Celia

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:05 AM »
Just as an add on to Imi’s post there is a Janome dealer in Reading called https://www.sewdevine.co.uk/. I have not been there in a long time but have heard good reports about them.

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 09:00:25 AM »
Excellent @Celia  thank you ... just shows Google isnt the know all he thinks he is!

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:28 AM »
£190 for a years warranty sounds excessive to me ...

@Iminei As I read it in the original post, £190 is the difference between the second hand machine on ebay (out of warranty) and a new machine (with warranty).

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2020, 09:30:21 AM »
Thank you again @StitchinTime  ... I seem to have mislaid my glasses ...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 09:53:41 AM by Iminei »

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 09:59:38 AM »
As you can see @geewizz00, absolute minefield sewing machines.  Which isn't helpful for you.   I'm a big an of Ebay for lots of things but when it comes to buying a sewing machine I would like to get a good 'feel' of the seller, especially one offering a guarantee to purchase

I bought my first computer sewing machine around 1990/1 on a lunchtime whim looking for some thread.  99 stitches I think, of which after the first play I used around 7 and two of those were buttonholes.  I was trading up from a mechanical Brother with just a straight stitch and a zigzag stitch. Since then I've never actually sat down and used a machine before I bought it (which can be a big mistake) but I've bought from a reputable seller online with telephone advice.

The Atelier 3 has 120 stitches and numerous buttonholes, if you are relatively new to sewing is this like buying a Rolls Royce when a Mini would be good to start off with.   

Whatever you do it will be your choice.  Good luck.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included