The Sewing Place

The Basic Basics of TSP's QAYG BOM

Iminei

The Basic Basics of TSP's QAYG BOM
« on: July 21, 2020, 13:04:45 PM »
Backing Fabric and Sashing Strips

For the backing fabric ... you dont need one continuous piece of fabric as you are going to cut 13" ish squares from it ... You can cut squares out of one fabric or a mixture

We are going to join our blocks together using Sashing or Joining strips of fabric on both the front and the reverse of your quilt. This can be your background fabric or you can introduce a new fabric

BUT for the sashing strips you might want to have either the horizontal or vertical strips cut from one piece of fabric ...
tho' having them joined is not a problem at all ....

For the 9 Block quilt (3 x 3) ... 36" ish sq - you can get continuous joining strips from width of fabric.

for the 12 Block quilt (3 x 4) ... 48" x 36" - you can get continuous Horizontal joining strips from width of fabric OR buy 1.3 metres of your sashing fabric to achieve continuous Vertical strips ...

Remember to cut the EIGHT* long strips before you cut the small in between strips

For the 16 Block Quilt (4 x 4) ... 48" ish sq - for continuous joining strips, either vertical or horizontal, buy 1.3 metres of your sashing fabric and again remember to cut the TEN**  long strips before cutting anything else.

But you might even want cornerstones at the junction of each block which means that the maximum length strip of joining fabric required would be 12".

* Four 1" strips for the front and four 2" strips for the reverse

**Five 1" strips for the front and five 2" strips for the reverse
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 13:15:30 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bjay

Re: The Basic Basics of TSP's QAYG BOM
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 15:14:28 PM »
WEll it looks, as I thought, I will have to go shopping for the sashing as i do  not have enough of the swirly green fabric and it was 'end of line'
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Flobear

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 20:21:32 PM »
How much variation in block size can the sashing cope with? Or does it all have to be within the usual quarter-inch allowance?
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bjay

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 14:34:34 PM »
I have bought some fabric but am thinking I may need to change colour completely.
I could not buy that swirly green one.
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 18:14:43 PM »
The Usual measurements are 1" (front) and 2" (reverse) .... but your sashing/joining strips can be any width you want

Using the 1" width ....

you would trim your quilted block ... top, wadding and back  ... to 12 1/2"

Lay your 1" width strip RST along the edge of the top of the block,
the 2" strip (folded in half WST along its length) along the edge of the reverse of the block  ...

Sew 1/4" seam from that edge.....

Press the 1" strip back on itself (leave the Reverse strip as is, and lie RST with the next block trimmed as above

Sew a 1/4" seam along the edge

This will leave you with 1/2" strip of fabric joining the two blocks and two 1/4" edges that sit nicely together underneath the sashing/joining strip.

But your strips could be wider ..... you just have to remember to trim your blocks and sew your seams accordingly ....

It is so much easier than it sounds ... If only you could come and see the process

I feel a Tut coming on ... Bear with me.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 18:19:57 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again