The Sewing Place

Machine identification help

Elf06

Machine identification help
« on: July 22, 2020, 22:29:38 PM »
good evening all. I am new to the forum. I stumbled across you while desperately trying to identify my new (to me) machine.
I already have 2 older Singers which I love but I bought this new machine for 'quick projects and repairs'.  The problem is i bought it without the power cable thinking it would be easy to replace and ive now discovered that is not the case. Some digits are missing from the model number on the machine and the serial number is bringing up nonsense on search engines.
I would be very grateful if anyone is able to help.

Thanks in advance
Emma the confused sewer!

Renegade Sewist

Re: Machine identification help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 22:40:42 PM »
Emma welcome to the forum.  :toast: I don't know this machine so no help there. Did you contact Singer? Either check their website or email that photo to them. They will be able to identify it so you can download the manual which will give you all the parts numbers. They can either assist you with a new power cord or with the part number from the manual you can shop online for the best price.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

StitchinTime

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 23:44:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Looking through lots of google images, I think the machine is a 5160 model and if so, the manual is available  to download for free.
https://res.cloudinary.com/singer-sewing/image/upload/fl_attachment/Singer-Website-Library/outdated_product/SINGER_5160_Sewing_Machine.pdf

Elf06

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 05:51:06 AM »
Thank you both. I've not yet contacted Singer. I hoped it would be easy to identify but if not luck then I shall try them.

There was a 2nd photo thst shows the model number from the machine but I wasn't able to add it last night.

Here it is in case that means anything to anyone.

[attachment[/attachment]

Esme866

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 07:31:10 AM »
Ok, so I bing-ed "singer made in brasil photos" and I found three other models that appear to use the same oddly shaped mold for the plastic body of your machine:  5417C, 5160C, & 2950C.

The C stands for Campinas, Brasil. I forgot to check where you are, but when I ran all three model numbers thru sewingpartsonline.com, they all three utilize the same electronic foot, #979314-031. $29.99 US. The website even shows a good photo of the connection so you can compare it to your machine. It's not terribly cost effective to stock or manufacture a wide variety of foot controls.

Hope this helps.

StitchinTime

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
Most of the results I found for the 5160 model were from America sites. The machine might have been marketed in Europe with a different model number due to the voltage difference.

StitchinTime

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 10:33:23 AM »
Singer 2950 https://vdocuments.mx/singer-sewing-machine-2950.html

but I'd start with the model number on the previous post by StitchinTime ie. 6038C

It may be that buying a replacement foot pedal and power cord may cost more than the machine did.  An alternative is to take it to a someone who repairs and services machines - they may have one that has the correct fitting and compatible voltage.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:38:42 AM by Morgan »