The Sewing Place

What to use for ties

mudcat

What to use for ties
« on: July 23, 2020, 03:06:59 AM »
I have two jumpsuits made from lightweight rayon challis fabric.  They have very wide uneven oneseam legs.  The outside legs are too long for me while the inseam is at a good place.  I  bought them at a booth during a rib festival a few years ago.  I rather like them because they are lightweight and very comfortable but I never wear them because of the legs. 

I don't want to shorten them because it will make the hems too thick and there is no way I'm cutting off this type of fabric because it's such a pain to work with due to the wiggle factor.  After looking at many pants images I came up with the idea of making them "billow" legs like these Blue Fish "billow" pants.

So now my dilemma is what to use for my "string" to tie them up.  It needs to be easy to tie/untie without knotting and  gentle washable (line dry).  It needs to have the right weight.  I'll sew it straight on the fabric (where a seam would be if there was one).  I'll use matching thread so it's not easily veiwable.

I've considered thick yarn, shoe laces, flat sheer ribbon, string and twine.  I've mostly dismissed them due to the fact it would knot too easily, not wear well or be too heavy/stiff. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what might work?  Or maybe I'm overthinking this.

Kwaaked

Re: What to use for ties
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 05:21:22 AM »
What about a small button and make a thread loop out of buttonhole twist?

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 08:33:13 AM »
What about adding a drawer string to the outside leg seam...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v55Z0VZbtuc

mudcat

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 03:13:53 AM »
Brilliant idea Efemera.  I think that will look better than the billowing leg in this lighter weight fabric.