The Sewing Place

Hemline pattern cutting board

UttaRetch

Hemline pattern cutting board
« on: July 23, 2020, 11:33:38 AM »
I have ordered this for my cutting table, which is 6ft long by 4ft wide.  My plan is to centre the board on the table. 

Starryfish

Re: Hemline pattern cutting board
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
That's a nice board. I use a similar one on the floor, as there is no space for a cutting table in my sewing room. I'm on my second one, as the first one got tatty. I kept the old one to block knitting.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2020, 12:35:16 PM »
I’m on my second one.  Used to use it on a dining table to cut out.  Luckily I have a cutting table my dad made years ago but still use this to plan pattern lays and work out quantities needed. 

Gernella

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2020, 13:34:18 PM »
I've got something similar that I got from a proper shop around 1992, it does look a bit tatty now on some of the edges, but it has been worth its weight in gold, extremely useful.  Great for sewing downstairs as well as it means I can cut out on the dining room table.  That's a good price as I seem to remember the one got was above £20.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 13:44:21 PM »
It was surprisingly hard to find.  All the search results assume you want a 'cutting' mat.  Er, no.  Perhaps I should order another one for the future.

Happymrsg

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2020, 16:47:50 PM »
I have one that I bought about 30 years ago. One of the best things sewing related things I've ever bought.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2020, 19:02:03 PM »
It's great behind the vertical blinds on my bedroom slider to block the heat in summer.  :thumbsup:

I haven't used one of these for garment cutting for at least 20 years. Back then I still used scissors. Now it's rotary cutting all the way!  Small sharp snips for inside corners but that's it.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2020, 19:05:40 PM »
Now there's a    I am getting far too much light in my bedroom at night and need something that can be used with the Venetian blinds.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 21:10:02 PM »
I've got a similar one I use on the kitchen island unit, wish I'd discovered them years ago, would have saved so many pattern pieces from being pinned onto the carpet back in the days I cut out on the floor!

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 23:29:13 PM »
I've got a similar one I use on the kitchen island unit, wish I'd discovered them years ago, would have saved so many pattern pieces from being pinned onto the carpet back in the days I cut out on the floor!
I thought that was just me and everyone else had some magic skill to avoid it.  :o  :dance:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 23:59:08 PM »
Now there's a    I am getting far too much light in my bedroom at night and need something that can be used with the Venetian blinds.

I use my older one from the 70s behind the mini blinds in the dining room. We seldom open the blinds and it's easy to fold up out of the way. We have brutal summers, I have old single pane windows and this one and the aforementioned slider face west and the setting sun.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Esme866

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 02:14:39 AM »
I threw out my first one from the 70's. Couldn't stand to cut out on it as the folds drove me nuts.

Starting using one again for drafting patterns. Easy to tape paper to  and the lines help keep things squared off. Also like to mark various points by sticking straight pins into it.

Still can't stand to cut out on it.

I still like my scissors. Only use rotaries for cutting silk bias strips and occasionally for linings.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
My board arrived yesterday complete with fold marks and a crumpled corner.  I must say I am a bit disappointed and wonder if this is what I wanted after all.  However, I'll keep because there is nothing else.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:46 AM »
Well you do get fold marks @UttaRetch, when not in use mine is always folded up and shoved behind the ironing board.  I've  also got a dog eared corner as well but given its age I can well understand that.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 10:24:21 AM »

Laid out on top of my 6ftx4ft cutting table.  The plan is to centre it and then stick down at each corner.