The Sewing Place

Hemline pattern cutting board

Elnnina

Re: Hemline pattern cutting board
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2020, 10:38:20 AM »
Like the look of your sewing room UttaRetch, now with regards to your cutting out mat, why not get something non slip to put underneath to stop it from moving.  Whilst my cutting out table is not super wide, I do put a cutting out board on top to save the surface really, but I tend to lay strips of a non slip rubbery mesh between the board and table and then find I more of often or not I  work with the board up 'close and personal', so much easier for me when laying things out, measuring - but then I am not particularly tall so that may make a difference.

So changing subject ever so slightly, how long before you can take up residence in this room?

UttaRetch

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 13:11:24 PM »
I should be within a month.  Thing is, though, I don't have any tracing paper and should really order some.

Gernella

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 20:16:10 PM »

Laid out on top of my 6ftx4ft cutting table.  The plan is to centre it and then stick down at each corner.

That's a stonking hot table @UttaRetch, now I am a bit envious.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Esme866

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 04:49:15 AM »
What I do like about drafting on the board is being able to move the board with paper taped to it. I'm 5'6", with abnormally long arms and legs for my height, if the board were taped down, I'd probably not be able to access the center of the table.

I use green painters' tape to tape paper to the board. It works just like old fashioned drafting tape. The blue stuff has too much adhesive.

And yes, that is one AWESOME cutting table! 

Efemera

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
Just wondering why you need a board on top of the table @UttaRetch ...

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2020, 07:57:25 AM »
Good question @Efemera.  I trace off my patterns and thought a marked board might be helpful.

Efemera

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
I would think the white surface top the table would be better. I have a green A0 on my table and it makes it really hard to trace. I have to put a sheet of plain white paper underneath. I’m thinking of getting a table protector from these people..they will cut to size and there’s a a grid available to put underneath. I sent for free samples.
https://cherwellsigns.co.uk/products/Rhino_Heavy_Duty_Cutting_Mat/

annieeg

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 10:17:55 AM »
@UttaRetch I join in with the comments - that is a cracking table!!
@Efemera  I like the cutting board link you suggested.  I just may look into getting one for the extension leg of my Horn Cabinet so I can use that as a table.
I have the cutting board under discussion and use it in half on top of my wide ironing board (Shirtmaster) which makes a sort of cutting table at a good height for me. 
(Why do I never get tired of looking at sewing tools ?)

Esme866

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 18:00:50 PM »
The best aid for tracing is a light table.

I use a piece of tempered glass with a lamp underneath for art work.

Scrap tempered glass can be found at salvage places from old windows and doors- they can be quite large (think shower doors). Lots of ways to raise up off the table top and lots of options these days for light strips underneath. Could be easily set up as needed.

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 20:43:12 PM »
I'm fine with tracing provided the paper is translucent enough.

Syrinx

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »
May I recommend Swedish tracing paper? It's incredible, almost fabric like. Easy to trace with and super handy.

Efemera

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
I use Burda tracing paper.. huge sheets and cheap enough.