The Sewing Place

Discounted Patterns

Bertha Badger

Discounted Patterns
« on: July 24, 2020, 17:26:58 PM »
Got to wondering the other day if we are ever going to see discounted pattern offers again from Vogue, Simplicity etc.
The US Vogue site currently has 30% off, but not a whiff of a sale in dear old UK  :'(

UttaRetch

Re: Discounted Patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 20:21:41 PM »
In my experience, the US and UK don't have sales at the same time.  However, I have checked Jaycotts, Sew direct and Sewessential and none of them has sale items.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 21:15:08 PM »
My guess is the companies are enjoying an unprecedented sales increase due to covid.

No real need to offer much in the way of sales.

I' m hoping when all of this is over, we'll see actual fabric stores open up once again.

I don't care what anyone says - I can't color match and properly judge the weight and quality of most fabrics based on a picture on a computer monitor.

And then there's one of my favorite sites that just added a new line of plaid woolens - beautiful color combos - with no reference at all to the scale of the plaid!

If I had the funding I'd open one myself.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 09:10:56 AM »
Agreed.  In fact, I avoid online shopping as much as possible because the computer monitor lies.   0_0

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 13:39:13 PM »
My local fabric shop finally re-opened yesterday.  The Butterick catalogue has a notice advertising a sale, but I wonder if this is a hangover from pre-lockdown.  There was a queue this morning and I didn't want to join it.  I'll go back later in the week.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 13:56:18 PM »
Don't forget, @UttaRetch , that a lot of us live a long way from shops, especially fabric shops.  My nearest one is 10 miles away, and doesn't have much of what I want.  I have to buy on line.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 15:42:44 PM »
I know and I am lucky that I don't have to rely on internet shopping for patterns.

Bertha Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 17:41:41 PM »
I don't really have any decent fabric shops near me either. I tend to buy a lot from Minerva Crafts. They have taken the time to post videos of their fabrics being handled which does help a lot.

I'm glad charity shops have re-opened, they are a good source of patterns for me. I got this one the other day for 50p. I didn't know who Ian Thomas was. I googled him and found out that he was dressmaker to the Queen and contributed towards her Coronation gown. The pattern is uncut and in perfect condition. The Sewing Pattern fairy was def with me that day!   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bertha Badger

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 17:43:10 PM »
Sorry for the size of the photo - will do better next time  :(

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 19:46:22 PM »
Oh wow that looks amazing!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 20:37:36 PM »
Charity shops are great for patterns and I always look through what's in the box.  However, I have yet to find a must have.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 13:44:37 PM »
Found this

today for 99p.  Alas, I had to leave it behind.

In other news, my local fabric shop has decided to discontinue stocking Vogue patterns because there is not enough room in, presumably, the smaller pattern storage system.  It is keeping the catalogue and orders will be taken for delivery a week later.  I might as well order online now.