The Sewing Place

How not to make a machine cover

Bodgeitandscarper

How not to make a machine cover
« on: July 25, 2020, 15:55:43 PM »
1.  Do not choose leatherette as your fabric.

2.  Do not attempt to sew curves with leatherette.

3.  Do not be surprised at how difficult it is to manipulate said leatherette through sewing machine.

4.  Do not attempt to topstitch leatherette.

5.  Do not show pictures of said leatherette cover to your sewing friends.

5.  Scrub number 5, everyone needs a laugh  0_0

I'd even chosen the wrong hoop (a 6" when I meant to use the 8" hoop), but I'd wrestled the fabric into place with lots of 505 glue, so I wasn't taking it off that hoop, and instead had to reduce the size of the embroidery design.  (Two or three trips back and forth between the computer and embroidery machine, usb stick clutched in hot little hand.)

Any way, it covers the machine...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Efemera

Re: How not to make a machine cover
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 15:56:43 PM »
The shape is good....... :ninja:

sewingj

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 16:15:37 PM »
to be honest Bodge - having read some of your previous posts I was starting to wonder if you were using leatherette to make masks or a stoma bag cover.  Neither of which would be advisable. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 16:20:42 PM by sewingj »

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 16:27:22 PM »
Do you think was your tension ok?  :[  :ninja: Might there be fluff in your bobbin hole?  :hug:
What else could it possibly be?!?!?!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 16:30:12 PM »
@wrenkins Fluff in my bobbin hole?  Pass me a mirror and I'll try to see... 0_0 0_0

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 16:31:57 PM »
The shape is good....... :ninja:
No.  No, it's not really...   0_0 0_0

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 16:34:37 PM »
I've overheated with laughing. Sorry, not sorry. That's brilliant! And to think I was reading your plans earlier thinking 'oooo I have pleathery kind of fabric. I could do my covers with that!!!". Thank goodness I was still in the thinking stage!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 16:47:03 PM »
I have many many moons ago tried to make bags for my Tbar windows out of that Satanic fabric ...

Been there, feel your pain, do you want to borrow my TShirt?

Well its a cover and if you feel like having another go with something swanky like good old 100% craft cotton Im sure it will be a breeze compared to that.

Did you use the tut from the girl on FB? Shemade her cover with what looked like a bright pink Brentford Nylons quilted bedspread if I recall correctly but the pattern was good.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 17:06:48 PM »
I did use her pattern  but squared up the tops of the end pieces a bit  hers were very round  but the machine actually has a flat top.  And yes, I thought Brentford Nylons too  0_0

BriarRose

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 17:13:43 PM »
Goodness, how lovely of you to share the results. I solemnly swear I will never touch the nasty stuff.  My machine cover is definitely low tech. I rescued a baby quilt made in the thirties or forties from a rack in a second hand store (it's not in great shape, but I felt sorry for it, poor abandoned little thing). Washed it and now it is draped across my machine and table, guarding both from dust and kitty cats. :meow:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 20:20:41 PM »
Might there be fluff in your bobbin hole? 

I think you should use the offcuts of leatherette to make a cover for your bobbin hole to stop it from gathering fluff. :devil:

(and judging from the perfect shape of the aforesaid machine cover there will be some offcuts)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sara-S

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 17:06:53 PM »
I’ve never worked with leatherette. I think now, that it’s unlikely I ever will.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 17:31:55 PM »
Thank you for sharing your nightmare, henceforth I shall never allow myself to be tempted to sew pleather.

On the plus side, you now have a functional machine cover.....

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 17:34:05 PM »
I'm going to be tittering about fluff in bobbin holes all evening now  0_0
Life's too short for ironing.

RJR_38

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 22:16:44 PM »
I’ve sewn more with pleather as I’ve been making bags. Like you I decided curves are a no-no unless you have an industrial machine (there have been broken needles and swearing haha) but for straight stitching, in general I found:

- use a much longer stitch length than normal - I use 3.5 - 4.5  as it will come out smaller
- go slowly (yes it is painful)
- use a nonstick foot - experiment with your machine. Some swear by their walking foot but it is terrible for pleather on mine, I use my Teflon foot
- reduce the foot pressure on your machine (especially if doing multiple layers). This will help it to not stick and drag.

If this was your first time with pleather I think you did well!