The Sewing Place

Slippery slope to the darkside?

BrendaP

Re: Slippery slope to the darkside?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »
When you find the ruler for you, you'll stay with that brand.

I agree but you can keep your Omnigrid rulers with the horrible thick lines. :scream:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 10:40:51 AM »
though it can be a bit difficult if the fabric underneath is the same colour as the markings.

Very true and something I come up against all the time ..

What do I do ???

Turn the fabric over, if its a printed cotton the reverse will be lighter and much more visible!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SingingSinger

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 11:24:07 AM »
Patchwork rulers ... Do's and Don'ts

The First Ruler you should buy is a 24" x 6"
This will enable you to cut across the width of most quilting cottons
(which are between 42" and 44" wide (Folded WST on the bolt)

The Second Ruler you should buy is a 12 1/2"
This will enable toy to cut most shapes, there are 30, 45 and 60 degree angles marked on the ruler
and to square up most sized blocks.
.........Cutting Mats and Rotary cutters

Please read this Caveat Emptor Mini Tut about Hobbycraft ... Your wallet and sense of justice will Thank you.

Thanks Iminei. I will get some rulers in that order. I've been looking at the Omnigrip ones on The Cotton Patch which seem a reasonable price.

Fortunately I already have a rotary cutter and large and small cutting mats which I use for dressmaking. I just need a new cutting blade for the rotary cutter as I've discovered it needs to be very sharp for accuracy (I'm learning  :D) .
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

SingingSinger

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2020, 11:28:38 AM »
And buy a rotary blade sharpener...

Oooh, maybe I'll buy one of these too...
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

wrenkins

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
My 21/2 sq has those luminous marks and very thick lines (maybe three times as thick! :o) compared to my Olfas. I presume it's the Omnigrid though it has no name on it. Prolly too small!  0_0 I don't use it much and certainly can't interchange it with the others.
Don't you just love how all the darksider mother hens gather round the new chick.  :dance:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ploshkin

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 08:00:23 AM »
I hate those thick, fluorescent yellow lines too.  I have several rulers and that's the one I dont use.
Life's too short for ironing.

Flobear

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »
All my rulers are Omnigrip and I can cope with the thick yellow lines by peering into the gaps between them but it's a bit inconvenient. I've no idea what they're for - unless it's where the grippy stuff is.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Ploshkin

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »
Yes, I think it is the grippy stuff though I cant tell if it makes a lot of difference.  I got self adhesive silicon rings for my rulers.  I made sure I placed them with the hole in the middle of the ring over a point where 2 inch lines crossed.  I have never found them obscuring a mark that I needed.
Life's too short for ironing.