The Sewing Place

Pfaff 6085 varimatic sewing machine - stiff hand wheel

WildAtlanticWay

Pfaff 6085 varimatic sewing machine - stiff hand wheel
« on: July 26, 2020, 18:16:00 PM »
Wondering if anyone can advise?

My friend here in Ireland has a Pfaff varimatic 6085 that she’s had a while and uses for basic sewing, curtain, dressmaking etc. She carried it in her car to her sisters and it’s suddenly not working properly. The hand wheel is very stiff and it makes a straining noise.

She’s cleaned around the needle plate and bobbin area with a brush, hoovered it to see if there was any loose fluff and it’s stiff not working properly.  :(

Any suggestions please? 

Efemera

Re: Pfaff 6085 varimatic sewing machine - stiff hand wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 18:41:04 PM »
Is anything caught around the hand wheel? My Bernina was like that and there’s was yards of thread around the wheel.

Esme866

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 04:08:49 AM »
User manuals for home sewists never tell us anything about what needs grease. No idea how old this machine is, but at 20 years it's highly likely it needs grease. Depending on the type of grease, if the machine is left sitting for long periods of time, this will cause the grease to go bad and separate (VERY common problem with Kitchenaid stand mixers.) and break down faster than on a machine that's used frequently.

It of course could be anything - including a busted plastic/nylon gear, but I'd open it up and look at the bits that aren't included with normal oiling. Also important to use a compatible grease. If the machine has a plastic housing, its doubly important not to over grease or use an aerosol that could cause the plastic to break down over time.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 14:52:08 PM »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

I’ve passed on your advice to my friend along with the number of the mechanic/dealer in Waterford that @Vezelay  recommended to me previously.

I’ll update when she’s resolved the problem in case it helps anyone else.

Sewot

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

I’ve passed on your advice to my friend along with the number of the mechanic/dealer in Waterford that @Vezelay  recommended to me previously.

I’ll update when she’s resolved the problem in case it helps anyone else.

They should be able to sort it but if it is still in her hands try this....
Remove bobbin and its casing.
Thoroughly check for cought thread and fluff.
Spend time cleaning what you can get to.
If its suddenly gone stiff its more likely thats the issue.
At worst it could have taken a bang and damaged a gear wheel but that is looking on the really bad side.
I doubt if it is that.
Then whack a brand new needle in it.
Let us know if this works.
Also ...like said, there may be thread wrapped around the flywheel spindle.
Dont use grease on a spindle use one drop of oil.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 20:57:00 PM »
Just a quick update.... my friend contacted the repair centre in Waterford where he diagnosed a damaged motor from watching her video of it trying to sew. Apparently he’s quoted over €250 to fit a new motor assuming he can still get hold of one. She says her machine is about 20 years old.

She only wants to do basic sewing and doesn't want a fancy machine so I’m wondering if it’s worth getting the motor repaired, could something else fail or is that the main expense?

Or would she be better off looking for a refurbished old vintage model?

Any thoughts I could pass on?

Manuela

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:21 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay, I had a look at sewingpartsonline, a new motor would be US$ 240.-
https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/pfaff-6085-serger-machine-parts.aspx?sort.ss_cat_sort=desc&index=35
I then looked at Ebay, there is one up for auction , starting at £190.- . That might help your friend making up her mind.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/sewing-machine-pfaff-6085/174388311442?epid=1625183562&hash=item289a5a7592:g:3t8AAOSwH8FbUlgn

Sara-S

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 19:46:13 PM »
Of course it’s up to her, but unless it was a very expensive machine to begin with, I’d be inclined to replace.
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.