The Sewing Place

Hello from Glasgow

TartanPaint

Hello from Glasgow
« on: July 27, 2020, 15:00:48 PM »
Hello there, from a very rainy Glasgow.

My name is William. I've been into sewing on and off since I took it up as a hobby in my 20's. I do furniture restoration as well.

I got a call from my sister a while ago saying that, due to ill health, she was having to give up her little sewing business. It was nothing major; just a little side interest making things she could sell at car boot sales and craft fairs. She asked me if I wanted my machine back and it was only then I remembered I had given her mine ages ago. So, being a big brother, I did what big brothers do and took my machine back and made off with about ten grands worth of fabric for absolutely nothing. I feel a bit guilty because some of it goes for £30 per metre.

Anyway; I'm more into decorative stuff and upholstery rather than clothes and I admit I'm a bit of a lurker so I'll no doubt benefit way more from your posts than you will from mine. If this introduction goes for much it should demonstrate what I mean.

Thanks a lot,

William.
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

wrenkins

Re: Hello from Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 15:44:55 PM »
Hello and welcome William. Make you self comfortable.  :drink: :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 15:49:43 PM »
Welcome from me too @William .

You appear to be joining an ever growing band of gentlemen sewists that TSP has attracted. The more the merrier.

Lilian

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 16:01:45 PM »
Welcome fro me too @William  :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 17:05:37 PM »
Hello and welcome .
Still learning

fajita

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 18:15:27 PM »
Welcome @TartanPaint  :flower:

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 20:15:35 PM »
Hi William.

Welcome to TSP.

Oo, I now have fabric stash envy. :|

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 20:35:03 PM »
Welcome @TartanPaint to the forum.  Ten grand of fabric you say.  A lot of us would be very interested.  0_0

TartanPaint

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2020, 20:47:01 PM »
Hi William.

Welcome to TSP.

Oo, I now have fabric stash envy. :|

She got it from a woman who was selling up her fabric business. Some of it is incredible. It's beautiful. Riley Blake, Tula Pink, vintage licensed Disney stuff, some really exclusive high end decor stuff too. One I'm allowed to post photos I'll let you see some of it.

:)

TartanPaint

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 20:49:11 PM »
Welcome @TartanPaint to the forum.  Ten grand of fabric you say.  A lot of us would be very interested.  0_0

Yes, there's like 10 big storage boxes full of it. It's a shame she needs the space and needs rid of it....

:)

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 21:13:25 PM »
Hi @TartanPaint  :)

You can post pictures that are hosted elsewhere on the internet (tutorial here).  In addition, subscribers can add images as attachments however new they are.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

TartanPaint

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 21:26:44 PM »
Hi @TartanPaint  :)

You can post pictures that are hosted elsewhere on the internet (tutorial here).  In addition, subscribers can add images as attachments however new they are.

I see. Thanks for that. How does one subscribe? :)

hernibs

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2020, 21:28:31 PM »
Hello and Welcome @TartanPaint - your name reminds me of a joke that some senior men in a works place sent the young new junior to buy striped paint!  Sure you've heard that one...best wishes on all your sewing endeavours...we are all green with envy (although the good Lord says we shouldn't be) at the stash you've been given.

TartanPaint

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 21:34:44 PM »
Hello and Welcome @TartanPaint - your name reminds me of a joke that some senior men in a works place sent the young new junior to buy striped paint!  Sure you've heard that one...best wishes on all your sewing endeavours...we are all green with envy (although the good Lord says we shouldn't be) at the stash you've been given.

@hernibs

Once I subscribe I'll post photos of some of it. I'll mainly be looking to make cushion covers etc. out of it. There's some stuff, like stretchy white super soft babyish stuff, I've no idea what to do with. :)

wrenkins

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2020, 21:35:38 PM »
@TartanPaint just under the Sewing Place banner at the top of the page on the right hand side there is a Support the Sewing Place link. It's by no means compulsory but it would be much appreciated.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!