The Sewing Place

Stitch Sisters

SkoutSews

Stitch Sisters
« on: July 27, 2020, 17:27:40 PM »
I came across the Stitch Sisters website after watching a vlog in which their coverstitch class was mentioned. As I've never felt completely confident with using my coverstitch machine, I looked it up. It's good. There's a lot of information there. The whole class is broken down into bitesize videos of around 5 minutes each, which makes it easy to find what you need. I like the style of presentation.

The classes are half-price at the moment and some e.g. Learn to Sew, are free, along with some free patterns. It's worth a look.

Helen M

Re: Stitch Sisters
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 18:02:41 PM »
I read somewhere that their coverstitch class was good.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 47

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »
@SkoutSews
Thanks for mentioning Stitch Sisters and I have just signed up for the coverstitch class.  I made a mistake signing up and managed to pay twice so I emailed them and the refund was dealt with instantly.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 12:13:38 PM »
I've been thinking of doing this for a while. It's about time I attempted more than just hemming on the coverstitch so I think I'll go for it. Thanks for the prompt @SkoutSews.

wrenkins

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
Great. Sewing courses for garments are definitely what I need. Thanks peeps!  :hug:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 13:11:20 PM »
I watched a Stitch sisters video on Youtube.  They were quite amusing.

Vezelay

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 15:11:32 PM »
I've just finished watching this class and thought I'd post a review of sorts:

This is a watchable but basic class, best suited to those who are quite new to coverstitching. I've had my machine two years and had worked out how to hem decently and flatten seams and neckbands so I was hoping to have my knowledge expanded. I did pick up one or two useful tips and saw them use a couple of attachments (which I'm unlikely to buy). But overall I was familiar with the techniques and information that they covered so I probably won't watch it again. I already have Johanna Lundstrom's ebook Mastering the Coverstitch Machine (also in paperback) which I've really only dipped into for specific issues, so my next job is to read that through properly. That has so much information I hardly know where to begin!

On the plus side the class only cost me £10 (and the Stitch Sisters (whose Youtube vlogs I watched for a while last year) do a decent job of presenting the basics clearly and pleasantly. I think if you're someone whose machine makes you slightly nervous these two will definitely help you feel more confident around coverstitching. If like me you're not a beginner and were hoping to learn some advanced tips and techniques you might be better looking elsewhere.

Summary: decent class for coverstitch basics.

William

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 18:36:37 PM »
I just finished the QAYG bag class. Must say I found it to be quite worthwhile as well as enjoyable.
The instructions were very clear and easy to understand. What i really liked about their videos is that they are very understandable - in these YouTube days it is not unusual to say at least once "What did he /she say?" - not a problem at all-

I am looking forward to the next class with them.

WD
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.