The Sewing Place

Hello

Belvedere

Hello
« on: July 27, 2020, 20:04:10 PM »
Hi there,

I live in Scotland and have been hoarding fabric for about 10 years and bought an (Elna 2800) sewing machine and did a short 2-day course in sewing around the same time.  Made a cushion cover with piping, some bunting and a make-up bag and enjoyed it.

Then... nothing apart from a few Christmas decorations in hessian. Sewing machine gathering dust and lost my mojo!

So I'm wanting to start up again and thought I'd make some purses (for coins, credit cards etc.) and some make-up bags. I've watched lots of tutorials but I always have questions so thought I'd join up here.

Looking forward to learning and perhaps branching out into more ambitious stuff. I'm really keen to try my hand at free-machine embroidery, or is it machine free-hand embroidery? Anyway, it's drawing pictures with your sewing machine. But I'm intimidated by what 'foot' I need and footling about with the feed dogs. Hoping I can get some advice on that when I've earned my stripes making a few purses/make-up bags.

I want to ask a question about fusible interfacings but thought I'd introduce myself first!  Looking forward to being creative with all my lovely fabrics.

Cheers! B

WildAtlanticWay

Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 20:12:11 PM »
Hello and welcome to TSP.

I’m probably at a similar level of (in)competence (in my case), but you’ll find some incredibly knowledgable folk on the forum who are very helpful and supportive.

Take a look around and join in the chat. x

fajita

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 20:13:54 PM »
Hello @Belvedere Welcome  :flower: :drink:

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 20:39:51 PM »
Welcome @Belvedere.  I am sure we will be able to help with all your questions.

Lilian

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 21:00:05 PM »
Welcome from me too @Belvedere  :drink: :)
Willing but not always able :)

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 21:30:44 PM »
Come away in.  :drink: :cake:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Belvedere

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 02:31:08 AM »
Thanks everyone for the welcome  :)

So now I've introduced myself, where is the best place to ask about interfacings for a purse?!  I don't want to ask in the wrong place!

Realised I should be off to bed but have been watching videos of the Sewing Machine Guy and got carried away  :D

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:26 AM »
Hi there and welcome to The Sewing Place ... I think you should head over to Access All Accessories for any bag related queries. :D
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

UttaRetch

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 07:43:04 AM »
@Belvedere, the aforementioned Access all accessories board. 

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 08:28:04 AM »
Hello there...

TartanPaint

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 08:38:15 AM »
@Belvedere

Good morning from Glasgow. I'm new here myself.

:)
"....I had a feeling you were up to mischief, now behave yourself...."

Kenora

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 10:54:17 AM »
A warm welcome from me too. I'm often to be found in the early hours of the morning watching sewing videos - and I've been sewing for over 60 years! They're addictive, aren't they? :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Helen M

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 11:21:11 AM »
Welcome @Belvedere!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

hernibs

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2020, 12:51:13 PM »
Hello and welcome from another member across the wee bit of sea between us....all the best for your future sewing endeavours.

Surest1tch

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 18:41:43 PM »
Hello and welcome from Yorkshire  :D