The Sewing Place

6-PAC Wardrobing Contest - 01.08.-10.11.2020

Manuela

6-PAC Wardrobing Contest - 01.08.-10.11.2020
« on: July 28, 2020, 08:05:02 AM »
Welcome to The Sewing Place's 6 PAC Wardrobing contest. For this contest you will create 2 coordinating capsules with 3 pieces each for Autumn/Winter if you are in the Northern Hemisphere or Spring/Summer for those in the Southern Hemisphere. The content of your capsules is entirely up to you, it largely depends on your lifestyle.
The pieces of one capsule should be interchangeable with the other - so a healthy mix of neutrals and accent colours or print would make sense here.

Here a few examples how different it could be:
Yours truly would most probably make 2 dresses and a duster for each capsule.
Indigotiger on the other hand wears mostly pinafores and tops, so those would be her capsules, while SewRuthieSews would most probably create capsules that contain tops, jackets/cardies and trousers/skirts.

So, get into your stashes, lay everything out and start dreaming and planning  :D

Here a few rules (I'm German after all) mostly about timing and posting:

1. Sewing starts on August 1st and should be completed by November 10th - you can prepare patterns, fit and cut before the starting date.
2. Please submit your entries latest on November 15th (that gives you 5 days after the official end date to take pictures).
3. There should be one picture of all 6 garments - this can be a composite
4. All 6 pieces should be garments, not accessories such as bags, hats, scarves, etc.
5. You can include one garment that has been bought or made previously (no time frame there)
6. Please use the template below for your entries:

(your name)'s Entry

What did you make (you could also mention challenges, difficulties, etc.)

Patterns used (commercial or self-drafted, anything goes)

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.

Pictures (included in the text please)

Happy Sewing

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 11:38:45 AM by SewRuthieSews »

Syrinx

Re: 6-PAC Wardrobing Contest - 01.08.-10.11.2020
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 09:39:20 AM »
You know what I may join in!

I've rediscovered my Harris tweed stash and want to make a skirt. I also want to make a smarter pencil skirt because I don't have one and can never find one to fit in RtW. I made the hedgehog dress and fancy making another with full length sleeves and I've got a nice hoodie pattern that reminds me of my S. Korean friends so that all seems like a good plan to join this in for once!

I'd love to make a pinafore but no idea where to start as imagine lots of adjustments required for a good fit!

Hmmm also thinking about it I have a lovely smart "work dress" that I don't wear much because I don't work in an office. I'm going back to uni and I'd love to have it in a different less "work" fabric. Perhaps I could use it to make a pattern from?

Starryfish

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2020, 17:30:45 PM »
I'm in. I had a 6 PAC planned for last winter, but a chest infection and family illness meant I never got round to it.
I've already got the fabric for 5 pieces.
1. Skirt in maroon/black check wool
2. Roll neck top in offwhite rib viscose jersey
3. Wrap Cardigan in burgundy wool jersey
4. Coat in offwhite boucle wool
5. Trousers in black jacquard wool.
All I need is a sweater in pink or offwhite to finish it off. Maybe a bought one if I can't find the right quality wool jersey.

A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 00:58:55 AM »
@Syrinx, planning is the fun part, so starting with a tweed skirt is a good idea. Then think what you would wear with that - this could be your first capsule.
Dresses are a tad more difficult to incorporate, as they already are an outfit, but anything like a cardie, jacket, coat, duster, etc. would go there.
Pinafores are a bit of a hybrid between dresses and skirts and usually require something like a top or blouse to be worn underneath.
Enjoy dreaming and planning.

@Starryfish, I’m looking forward to see your capsules developing  :drink:

Manuela

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 01:07:44 AM »
@Syrinx, some pinafores to get you started

Tilly and the Buttons Cleo pinafore/dungaree dress

Link: https://shop.tillyandthebuttons.com/products/cleo

Style Arc Josie pinafore dress

Link: https://www.stylearc.com/shop/sewing-patterns/jodie-dress-pinafore/

The Foldline Ivy pinafore dress

Link: https://thefoldline.com/product/ivy-pinafore-dress/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:13:51 AM by Manuela »

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 13:25:33 PM »
Thanks! Good starting point for the pinafores there, super helpful :)

Planning is hard!

So tweed skirt. Would need a top (got a free top patern to try out) and maybe a lightweight jacket to go with - I have some slubby linen and a nice jacket pattern. It is for thick wool, but I'm sure it'll look nice in a lighter drapey fabric. Do I need to line a linen jacket???  :S Quite tempted to make a waistcoat so that could go in with this lot.

A pinafore would need a top as well, hmmm. I don't think I have a long sleeved tshirt pattern of any sort. There must be a free one online somehwere! I have a hooded jumper pattern but sweatshirt fabric is expensive so maybe not.

The work dress is made out of suiting, so I am struggling what fabric to make that out of that would have the structure for the dress but be a little less formal, so that's probably out of the question.

So that would be 3, maybe 4 things around the skirt. And 2, maybe 3 things around the pinafore dress. Would that be acceptable @Manuela ? Or must it be 3 in each?

Regarding my tweed, I should probably check I have enough of one to make a skirt! iirc they are all quite small pieces. I don't even have a skirt pattern, but I do have a skirt that I could trace and adjust as it's too large around the waist - free pattern!

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 16:22:39 PM »
If you come across the Tessuti Mandy Boat Tee, which is a free long sleeved t-shirt, be wary.  It's quite nice, but the arms are incredibly narrow, all the way up.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 18:02:37 PM »
If you come across the Tessuti Mandy Boat Tee, which is a free long sleeved t-shirt, be wary.  It's quite nice, but the arms are incredibly narrow, all the way up.

Very, very incredibly narrow. Their Fave top as well. Otherwise they're nice tops and worth a little adjustment.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Tamnymore

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 19:14:43 PM »
Well I may have a go at this one!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Syrinx

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 21:06:41 PM »
I didn't find that t-shirt pattern. I did find one on life sew savory that looked pretty good. Guess it'll have to be a make and see type thing!

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 22:36:48 PM »
I didn't find that t-shirt pattern. I did find one on life sew savory that looked pretty good. Guess it'll have to be a make and see type thing!

@Syrinx Tessuti has multiple free tee patterns. Many people find the sleeves a bit narrow but easily tweaked. There's  a turtleneck in there.

There are a ton of free tee shirt patterns out there. What do you have in mind?

Also at Creativebug which is an online streaming service for sewing plus arts and crafts most of their classes include a free pdf pattern download. There are several subscription discounts available now, Isaw one for $5, another through joann's for 2 months free. You get to keep a class permanently for each month you subscribe. They have a couple of classes from Friday Pattern Company including the Cambria Duster. I'm using that.

I have 5 or 6 rtw linen jackets, none of which are lined. If you need a bit more warmth you could line it. Make sure to preshrink the linen.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 00:05:53 AM »
@Syrinx, you don’t have to make a skirt a top and a jacket... your first capsule could be a tweed skirt and 2 tops.
Your second could be a pinafore and two tops. You could definitely make more than three pieces per capsule, but can you do that in the given time frame?
Look in your closet and check want you need, then looks at the fabrics you have and decide.
From your posts I see that your only recently ventured from the Darkside to garment sewing. A could start would be to concentrate on 3 patterns, a skirt, a pinafore and a well fitting top that goes with it.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:01:38 AM »
Haha I've recently ventured into knits

jintie

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 07:23:37 AM »
@Syrinx (or anyone else) you can have my Tilly and the Buttons pinafore pattern (unused) for £5 postage included .
I will also throw in my unused copy of her Stretch book for a total of £15 including postage.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 07:46:20 AM by jintie »
Rottweiler with scissors

Kwaaked

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 07:44:34 AM »
If I can get out of my funk, I'll join.  I have no idea what I need right now cause I can't go anywhere  :scream:

Maybe I'll grab the cold elbow jacket from Vogue and make a fugly and horrendous 6 pac based off patterns no one in their right mind would think of wearing.