The Sewing Place

6-PAC Wardrobing Contest - 01.08.-10.11.2020

Renegade Sewist

Re: 6-PAC Wardrobing Contest - 01.08.-10.11.2020
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »
If I can get out of my funk, I'll join.  I have no idea what I need right now cause I can't go anywhere  :scream:

Maybe I'll grab the cold elbow jacket from Vogue and make a fugly and horrendous 6 pac based off patterns no one in their right mind would think of wearing.

Copycat!  Copycat!  :meow:  :meow: Sometimes @Kwaaked I swear we're some sort of physic sisters.  Or is that psycho?  :rolleyes:

I've pulled out all my 100 Acts of Sewing pdfs. A lovely saggy baggy cropped pant which is actually what I do wear. A fitted pant on this body is scary at best. Her Top #1 is a woven tee with a short cut on sleeve and no darts, a style known to be universally flattering to all women. Ha! Hardly but it works for the theme. Then continuing on with the 100 Acts debacle is Sonia's jacket/duster. The duster might be a solid, the rest are going to be prints, mostly large florals. There's also a tee and a couple other options. The first go through are actually test garments but imma gonna wear them anyway. Depending on my mood they might be as far as I get. The photos at the end should be interesting....
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Kwaaked

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 11:12:14 AM »
Haha, I was thinking more on the lines of WTF is THAT? rather then comfort.

Of course, I say that...I really need skirts and a few tailored blouses.  For work, but who knows when that is going to come back? 

Usually what happens is I'll be sitting here doing absolutely nothing, then an idea hits from something I heard or saw and I'll create a mood board, either IRL or electronic.  Then I'll sketch.  Although I do like the idea of WTF are you thinking, I won't actually wear it, so it's a waste of time.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 20:11:35 PM »
Haha, I was thinking more on the lines of WTF is THAT? rather then comfort.
snip

Although I do like the idea of WTF are you thinking, I won't actually wear it, so it's a waste of time.

Aw now @Kwaaked there's the difference. I will wear it.  :devil: BTW,  WTF and comfortable aren't mutually exclusive. I'm pretty sure I can combine the two.

I actually like the 100 Acts of Sewing patterns despite the absolutely shameful criticism they get from the supposedly "nice" ladies at another huge sewing related forum. It's a particular aesthetic and has a loyal following among like minded individuals. I've seen photos of some pretty nice makes using these.

I decided the test garments should be outrageous and use some of my more unusual fabrics just for fun. Since we're mostly home bound at the moment it should be fun.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 18:56:50 PM »
Well as you know I just can't resist a wardrobe contest, but I don't currently quite know what I want to sew.

It looks like the earliest I could be back working in the office would be 19th October (I am perfectly able to work form home so that's fine). However some of us are going to be made redundant at some point, so that might be job hunting or home not working.

Plus at the moment its summer and the temps are all over the place. (It got so hot I made and wore some shorts).

And I gained weight from lockdown eating/menopause and really want to do something about that.

Syrinx

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 17:30:28 PM »
So none of my fabric has arrived yet for this, but some fabric I ordered on Monday has arrived along with the buttons from a different place for that nice button down dress everyone helped me find a pattern for.

So until the other fabric arrives, I shall be sewing that. And hoping that after 20 of the damn things I'll love button holes so that by the time I work out what fabric to use for my pinafore, the button holes will be delightful!

Who'd have thought that it would be a fabric supplier slowing the whole thing down!

UttaRetch

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 17:38:51 PM »
Delightful buttonholes, no such thing in my experience.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 08:53:55 AM »
I've been making shorts to wear on the random hot days.
I just can't get my head into an Autumn frame at all.

I do have a youinform which is trousers, top and cardigan jacket, so could do that x2 I suppose.
The earlier part of the autumn I'll still be wfh but the temps will be down, so comfortable, warm, presentable would be my criteria.

Syrinx

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 14:21:27 PM »
I've dug out my linen and think it might be a linen blend. It is more lightweight and drapery than I remember so perhaps it's not suited for the jacket plan

Syrinx

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2020, 17:42:33 PM »
Made a long sleeved t-shirt. After much wonderful suggestions on what to avoid I used a free pattern that has sewn up really well. I could probably take 3" off the arms but it's nice and I will definitely use it again.

I was even sensible and made it in a fabric I can use for the contest (I hope!) so maybe I'll make another, once I get in with the rest of the collection. Patterns cut for pinafore. With 11" already taken out of the trouser pattern. It still look voluminous so we shall see. Inside leg seam said 32" finished and they are rolled up just below calves so I took out 11 inches. Not sure if finished length was rolled up or not

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2020, 15:54:03 PM »
I found inspiration in the colour navy blue and am sewing things.
Will post at some point.
I probably won't stop at 6

dyedinthewool

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2020, 19:24:11 PM »
Hmm... I've been thinking about this for a few days and I may join in. Whether or not I can complete in time is another matter!

I've got a fairly firm idea about my two capsules. One would be York Pinafore, a pair of leggings and a t-shirt I made last year. Two would be a pair of trousers from an old Simplicity pattern, an Ashton top, and a long line cardigan.

Achievable? Just about, I think!

dyedinthewool

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 19:24:00 PM »

So here's the mock-up of my 6PAC.

I won't be able to start sewing for a few weeks, but as long as I don't eat or sleep I should have it done by the first week of November!  :D

Syrinx

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 20:01:24 PM »
I've done two long sleeved tshirts so far. Working on a flounce top at the minute (interfacing just applied and challis pressed!). Pencil skirt is half done but no zip so ground to a halt.

Then just the tricky pinafore stuff and the jacket...

I love the design of that long cardy/jumper!

dyedinthewool

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2020, 10:53:11 AM »
I love the design of that long cardy/jumper!

The fabric is phenomenal! Not something I would normally pick, but for £2.99 a metre ...!

Starryfish

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 22:20:06 PM »
I have made two pieces, a skirt and funnel neck top with a wrap cardigan next. For other three pieces it will be a coat and trousers and another. @Iminei ,Would it be within the rules if I knit a sweater?  It says a piece made earlier or a bought piece but I would have thought a knitted top should be ok?
A day without sewing is a day wasted.