The Sewing Place

Bootstrap and Lekala Patterns

Tiggy

Bootstrap and Lekala Patterns
« on: July 29, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »
Has anybody used these companies?  They produce patterns which are formatted to the very detailed measurements you enter onto the website, and then emailed to you.

https://patterns.bootstrapfashion.com/
https://www.lekala.co/

I have a big year next year.  My daughter is getting married in February, and my son will be getting married on July after postponing from this year.  I want to wear something chic and smart and different.  I love the clothes that Melania Trump wears (although I'm not keen on her!!!!)  My mum would like me to wear flowing chiffon and lace but I would feel like the Queen Mother.
(I had a close call when looking for dresses earlier this year.  I was talking to Stephen's potential MIL, and it turns out that we had both chosen dresses from Phase Eight (although I had not bought mine) and they were very similar.  Gulp.)

The patterns on these sites are different and stylish and I am tempted.   I would welcome people's opinions.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Acorn

Re: Bootstrap and Lekala Patterns
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
I have used them and love them.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
I've used a couple more than once.  It takes off a lot of pressure knowing the garment will FIT from the outset. IMO they are good value too.

Ellabella

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
I believe that they are both the same company, just the Russian and US versions.

I’ve used Lekala and they do fit which is lovely but the instructions were very minimal. I suppose it depends on how much you need your hand holding.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 10:57:47 AM »
Ooh yes - that is certainly true.  The instructions are basic, and sometimes seem to miss bits out.

Tiggy

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Thank you
I’ll buy something simple to check them out.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 13:13:31 PM »
Lekala used to have a couple of free patterns, so you could try the system before paying anything.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 17:30:22 PM »
You will need to add in ease to your measurements as they will literally use the measurements you put down.

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 17:41:14 PM »
They won't.  Ease is built in - the measurements are not used as the finished garment measurements.

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 22:03:03 PM »
I've used Lekala without problem.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Kate S

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2020, 01:37:58 AM »
You will need to add in ease to your measurements as they will literally use the measurements you put down.

They add ease, but now what most of us are used to.  It's a minimal amount.

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:06 AM »
I've never found that.  In fact on occasion I have taken some of the ease out - and I like my clothes loose!

Missie

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
They won't.  Ease is built in - the measurements are not used as the finished garment measurements.

That is not my experience.  I requested a dress pattern and gave my measurements and it was too small as there was no ease, it was literally the meaurements I gave (and I double-checked my measurements , both measured and input before sending in so no user error).  I subsequently ordered a shirt with ease included in my measurements and the fit was fine.  Although thinking about it, I may have had to take a bit of ease out of the shirt as I don't like things too loose and it was a looser fit style.  Maybe I was just unlucky with my dress.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:57:56 AM by Missie »

SarahJ

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 22:37:16 PM »
Funnily enough I used a Lekala pattern for my MOB dress earlier this year as I wanted a dress that I could wear without a jacket and found the ideal match on their website. The instructions are minimal but straightforward and the patterns appear well drafted in that they go together very well and I would definitely use them again.

Sarah

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2020, 10:27:02 AM »
@Missie I can't see it accounting for the whole problem there, but did you either tick the box for seam allowances or add them yourself?

Aside from that, there must have been an error, because generous ease has very definitely been built in to everything I've had from them - and that's a lot of patterns!