The Sewing Place

Vogue Autumn 2020

UttaRetch

Re: Vogue Autumn 2020
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 20:35:29 PM »
What the devil is V1711 made from? It reminds me of that squishy pvc stuff boots were made of in the 1960s
It's horrid.  Reminds me of the wetlook that was a thing for a while.  I don't what's worst, the colour or the pvc.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2020, 20:49:43 PM »
I actually bought some faux suede for a biker jacket but the fabric when it arrived was too floppy, more suited to one of those swingy coats (can't remember the term).
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Starryfish

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2020, 21:48:11 PM »
I think @Bodgeitandscarper could do V1711, she likes a pleather challenge :ninja:  I've never seen such a horrible colour and fabric combo.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Tamnymore

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 10:34:20 AM »
Actually, that Vogue biker jacket is quite similar to an Alexander McQueen jacket which is over $5,000 at full price. McQueen jacket.  Hmm no wonder we all liked it!

Slap a few more zips on and nobody could tell. Suddenly £17 doesn't seem so expensive for a pattern. Vogue designer patterns are versions of the original designer outfits but they do knock off some other designer designs without telling us of course. Quite clever really.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 12:50:10 PM »
I saw reference to the McQueen in a Pattern review discussion.  I wish Vogue had included some pockets, but I suppose one could be slipped into the waist seam or bodice.  Shame to have a jacket without pockets.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 14:55:12 PM »
Yeah, I'll not be making the V1711 in pleather thank you!!  :fish:

It does remind me of my red wet-look coat (didn't we all have one around late 60s/early 70s??), whilst a lot of the coats were smooth and shiny, I had to be a little different and had a sort of crinkly shiny finish one.

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 14:58:46 PM »
If you mean 1971/2 I might have done @Bodgeitandscarper and if I had it would have been a white midi and squeaked a lot. Everyone else's midi coat was grey herringbone.  :x Mine was so much nicer, though noisy!
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 15:43:07 PM »
@wrenkins I'm not sure if mine was a midi coat, as I remember having it one school, before we then moved on to the girls' Grammar school at 14 years old (odd school system where I was), and I remember we were all very worried we would have to wear our mini skirts much longer than the usual "just covering your knickers" length.

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 16:14:29 PM »
Yes I've just been thinking the same thing about pockets @UttaRetch . As the jacket is lined it would be easy to put in inseam pockets  below the waist. I agree a jacket needs pockets.

Ah the joys of the mini-skirt at school.... and rolling up one's sensible length skirt so it was mini then rolling it down if the Deputy Head was in sight. Most of the time you ended up with a spare tyre of rolled up skirt! Happy days. 0_0

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 16:38:08 PM »
There was no rolling up of the skirt for me.  I remember having a skirt and bib, which my Mother stitched together, and a pinafore dress.

Kad

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2020, 16:53:09 PM »
No rolling up of my school skirt but for a different reason - I was tall and very skinny and the approved school skirt which fitted my waist was nowhere long enough to reach my knees. After receiving several 'red cards' for uniform  irregularities my mother marched into the headmasters office with the size chart from the outfitters and asked him what she was supposed to do with me, as despite feeding me generously I only grew upwards not outwards...those were the days  0_0 .I  never got another'red card' so something must have been agreed. My DD had the same problem, approved school trousers that were long enough were a 32"waist, she managed to attain a 23" waist by the time she left.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

BrendaP

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2020, 17:06:12 PM »
As well as rolling the skirt waistband we used to turn the tie upside down - made the knot with the narrow end and then tucked the wide end inside the shirt,

I think I was the only one bright/daring/brave enough to investigate the innards of the tie and actually stitch it to be narrow on both ends! :devil:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2020, 19:53:58 PM »
We had pleated skirts so there was no rolling or we'd have ended up with a tutu. The mini days were over by then anyway. We couldn't get our ties wide enough. The skinny end hung down and tickled the tops of your legs and the broad end was too short to sit inside your V neck. The knot was the size of your fist!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2020, 08:53:05 AM »
this shows were some of the patterns originated from.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tamnymore

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2020, 20:36:28 PM »
I've just checked out @sewmuchmore 's suggestion of looking at the pattern vault blog which shows the catwalk version of Vogue patterns. Even patterns which aren't labelled designer have designer origins  which just shows how clever Vogue patterns are at copying the catwalk version. My moto McQueen pattern has now arrived but it's going to have to wait its turn.