The Sewing Place

Slip covers for armchairs

Syrinx

Slip covers for armchairs
« on: July 29, 2020, 13:11:17 PM »
I've been tasked with making a couple of pairs of slip covers for some armchairs that don't have removeable covers and are getting filthy - they have blankets half heartedly chucked over them at the moment.

I've used flip chart paper to trace the pattern (totally how you do it right :P ) and need to work out how much fabric I'll need.

I'm guessing a 1" seam allowance is necessary for upholstery fabric? And flat fell the seams? Piping isn't desired so guess that makes my life easier.

As they'll be washable covers I think I'll wash the fabric before I cut anything.

Note on thread though - I'm thinking a bog standard Guterman poly? Or do I need something more robust. These will be my first slip covers out of upholstery fabric. I usually use upholstery fabric for quilting and cushion covers  :ninja:

It's going to be removable from the back - two back pieces open at the center with a tie to hold it together. I've traced the seat, front back, back back, inner and outer arms. Is there anything else I've forgotton? Or anything super helpful that will make my life easier!

I'm contemplating making a toile out of calico because the fabric being looked at is ££££ - good idea?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Slip covers for armchairs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 14:32:23 PM »
I'd be tempted to do a normal seam, and then fold seam allowance to one side and topstitch.  But then I am Chief Bodger here... :)
A toile would be a good idea I think.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 14:33:42 PM »
That's a big task, but totally doable.  :thumbsup:

Re fabric - there's upholstery fabric and there's upholstery fabric, though if it's washable I'm guessing some sort of plain woven rather than velvet.  Bog standard Gütermann SewAll (Mara 100) will be fine unless it's really heavy fabric in which case you could go a bit thicker with Mara 80 or Extra strong.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 00:02:24 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 14:34:50 PM »
I agree with @Bodgeitandscarper about the seams.  Felled seams are pretty tricky if there are curves!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 14:38:52 PM »
Yes to the toile.

1" seam allowance is generous but wont add significantly to the overall yardage.

Who sits on the seats? If its great big galumphing rugby players I'd go for something a little thicker than sew all.

Topstitched seams seem like an excellent idea.

Syrinx

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 14:55:40 PM »
Barely anyone sits on them

Esme866

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 16:28:53 PM »
Lots of good replies here.

I would definitely top stitch rather than fell the seams. Felling can also form an awkward stiffness.

The only thing I'm rather anal about regarding slipcovers is this. If the chair has loose upholstered seat cushions, I always cover them separately so that the cushion placed on top of the seat helps to anchor the entire cover in place.

Even my Mom's cat manages to send things quite askew with her usage of the livingroom sofa. Human's have never used the room in 25 years. The cat claimed it when she arrived 17 years ago and these days gets huffy when Mom invades her space for too long - though she seems to appreciate the tidying up afterwards.

Syrinx

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 16:49:57 PM »
Oh I wish it had a separate seat cushion! So much easier to make a cushion cover and would cover some poor fit if it happens.

I'll topstitch it all then! That's decided. Though I'll need a normal topstitch twin needle.