The Sewing Place

Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query

suburban

Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm making envelope cushions because we've got puppies who are in love with zips / buttons.  I've bought a kind of tapestry fabric (it's actually 80% cotton and 20% polyester)  I think they'll be alright for the "good" side of the cushion, so I want something with a little stretch for the reverse "envelope" side.  I like the look of velvet / velour but I hear it's not so easy to work with.  Also, I'll be using a heavy cotton sewing needle, for sewing it to the tapestry type fabric (won't I?)

I'm fine with a velour / velvet LOOK by the way - I know there's fabric with a kind of sheen that is actually polyester / chenile or whatever.  Just something that will be relatively easy to work with.  I visited Abakhan and Dunelm Mill in my neck of the woods and I didn't see anything suitable.  Just so you know, the fabric I'm using for the good side, is Paisley Tapestry Multi from Abakhan.  Ideally I'd like a neutral cream, soft green or soft pink for the envelope side  Any thoughts on which fabric I should use and where to get it online? 

Efemera

Re: Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Is there a reason that both sides aren’t the same?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 13:53:33 PM »
If you want velvet, you want Ralston Fabrics!  They have a great selection, and you can buy by the half metre.

I don't think velvet is too difficult to work with for something like a cushion cover, with straight edges etc. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 11:07:20 AM »
I've had no issues using velvet as cushion backs. Just use a walking foot

suburban

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 18:39:14 PM »
Is there a reason that both sides aren’t the same?

Well, I didn't fancy using the 'good' fabric for the envelope "stretch" big at the back.  It was only after I left the store that I thought..."Will this be too stiff to make a good envelope "fastening"?  It's expensive, well expensive for me, and I'm scared of wasting it.  Thanks for replying.

suburban

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 18:40:06 PM »
If you want velvet, you want Ralston Fabrics!  They have a great selection, and you can buy by the half metre.

I don't think velvet is too difficult to work with for something like a cushion cover, with straight edges etc.
   I will definitely take a look there, thanks. 

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 18:42:14 PM »
I did that years ago @suburban when making cushions. Fancy dancy hideously expensive front and plain gold sateen (I think) on the back. I didn't use stretch though. 
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

suburban

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 18:44:35 PM »
I've had no issues using velvet as cushion backs. Just use a walking foot

Ha ha!  That's a sore point I'm afraid.  I can't get my "walking feet" to work.  I've got the official Janome one and I tried a generic one too and they just seem so off-centre.  Maybe it's me.  I'm a little dense with these things.  I watch tutorials by a lady on YouTube and she says she uses a walking foot most of the time for her general sewing.  Maybe I'll have another go and see how it works out for me.  Thanks for replying.

suburban

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 18:49:52 PM »
I did that years ago @suburban when making cushions. Fancy dancy hideously expensive front and plain gold sateen (I think) on the back. I didn't use stretch though.

Yeah, I still think it's a good idea. 

I love that quote about resentment.  I wish I'd have read and understood it decades ago.  I would've avoided banking some extremely painful bad karma. 

But that's another story...

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 19:57:16 PM »
As a dog-owner who allows her pooches on the sofa, I wouldn't use pricy fancy-dancy anything for my cushions  ;)
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

suburban

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 17:39:02 PM »
Well, I went for the velvet back to the envelope cushion.  So I've got the two velvet pieces and I finally managed to sew the hems (edit: I'd written seams! ) in the velvet for where the envelope meets.  I tried every foot going.  In the end, the general foot, you know the one you use most of the time ( I can't even remember what it's technical name is ) worked the best.

Also, I cheated. I didn't just hold the iron over the velvet. I put the "good" side of the velvet onto a towel and ironed the back.  The "unpretty" backing.  I had to make the hems lay flat.  Then I used those little clips that look like tiny clothes pegs.  I found the confidence to alter the tension to 5 from 4.  I prayed that the Universe would be on my side and then I sewed really, really slowly.  It worked!  Two velvet envelope backing pieces now have the hems for where they meet.

Now, how do I sew the heavy cotton tapestry fabric onto the velvet pieces?  What size needle?  What size stitch?  Any tips?  This is the bit I've been dreading! 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 16:56:12 PM by suburban »

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 21:12:37 PM »
Stabilise the edges of the stretchy velvet to just past the stitching line.  You will have to use the iron again, but do it slowly and use a stretch interfacing.  That will strengthen the velvet to take the necessary thick needle, and maybe thicker thread (Guetermann Top Stitch or Extra Strong) needed for the tapestry fabric.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 22:35:24 PM »
I'd use Guterman top stitch thread, if very thick their extra strong. Probably lots of pins/cips if you aren't using the walking foot (also silly ask, but is the lever on the side above the needle screw? That's essential for good walking foot working). Also, personally I'd backstitch in the corners and make sure the pivot is perfect, but that's just me!

suburban

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 17:10:27 PM »
Stabilise the edges of the stretchy velvet to just past the stitching line.  You will have to use the iron again, but do it slowly and use a stretch interfacing.  That will strengthen the velvet to take the necessary thick needle, and maybe thicker thread (Guetermann Top Stitch or Extra Strong) needed for the tapestry fabric.

Eek!  I didn't think that I'd need both ( thread and interfacing ).  When I say "tapestry" by the way, I mean 80% cotton, 20% polyester.  Or something like that.  I called it 'tapestry' because that's how they marketed it at Abakhan Fabrics.  It is in their soft furnishings section - on their website.  I'm going to use lots of the emojis because they're really good.

:thinking:  :facepalm: :faints:  :headbang:

suburban

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 17:24:53 PM »
I'd use Guterman top stitch thread, if very thick their extra strong. Probably lots of pins/cips if you aren't using the walking foot (also silly ask, but is the lever on the side above the needle screw? That's essential for good walking foot working). Also, personally I'd backstitch in the corners and make sure the pivot is perfect, but that's just me!

Yes, I intend to pin it to buggery (please excuse the odd bit of mild profanity), as I spit on my bona fide £39 Janome Walking Foot, which has never worked.  I'd try a generic one - there's one for a tenner on Amazon, but I'm bitter that I already spent quite a bit on a hobby that's sporadic.  Your advice about the lever in the right place on the machine has piqued my interest though and I'm gonna take a look later.   :thumbsup: