The Sewing Place

Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query

suburban

Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« on: July 31, 2020, 12:51:11 PM »
Hi,

I'm making envelope cushions because we've got puppies who are in love with zips / buttons.  I've bought a kind of tapestry fabric (it's actually 80% cotton and 20% polyester)  I think they'll be alright for the "good" side of the cushion, so I want something with a little stretch for the reverse "envelope" side.  I like the look of velvet / velour but I hear it's not so easy to work with.  Also, I'll be using a heavy cotton sewing needle, for sewing it to the tapestry type fabric (won't I?)

I'm fine with a velour / velvet LOOK by the way - I know there's fabric with a kind of sheen that is actually polyester / chenile or whatever.  Just something that will be relatively easy to work with.  I visited Abakhan and Dunelm Mill in my neck of the woods and I didn't see anything suitable.  Just so you know, the fabric I'm using for the good side, is Paisley Tapestry Multi from Abakhan.  Ideally I'd like a neutral cream, soft green or soft pink for the envelope side  Any thoughts on which fabric I should use and where to get it online? 

Efemera

Re: Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 12:53:48 PM »
Is there a reason that both sides aren’t the same?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 13:53:33 PM »
If you want velvet, you want Ralston Fabrics!  They have a great selection, and you can buy by the half metre.

I don't think velvet is too difficult to work with for something like a cushion cover, with straight edges etc. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Syrinx

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 11:07:20 AM »
I've had no issues using velvet as cushion backs. Just use a walking foot

suburban

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 18:39:14 PM »
Is there a reason that both sides aren’t the same?

Well, I didn't fancy using the 'good' fabric for the envelope "stretch" big at the back.  It was only after I left the store that I thought..."Will this be too stiff to make a good envelope "fastening"?  It's expensive, well expensive for me, and I'm scared of wasting it.  Thanks for replying.

suburban

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 18:40:06 PM »
If you want velvet, you want Ralston Fabrics!  They have a great selection, and you can buy by the half metre.

I don't think velvet is too difficult to work with for something like a cushion cover, with straight edges etc.
   I will definitely take a look there, thanks. 

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 18:42:14 PM »
I did that years ago @suburban when making cushions. Fancy dancy hideously expensive front and plain gold sateen (I think) on the back. I didn't use stretch though. 
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

suburban

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 18:44:35 PM »
I've had no issues using velvet as cushion backs. Just use a walking foot

Ha ha!  That's a sore point I'm afraid.  I can't get my "walking feet" to work.  I've got the official Janome one and I tried a generic one too and they just seem so off-centre.  Maybe it's me.  I'm a little dense with these things.  I watch tutorials by a lady on YouTube and she says she uses a walking foot most of the time for her general sewing.  Maybe I'll have another go and see how it works out for me.  Thanks for replying.

suburban

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 18:49:52 PM »
I did that years ago @suburban when making cushions. Fancy dancy hideously expensive front and plain gold sateen (I think) on the back. I didn't use stretch though.

Yeah, I still think it's a good idea. 

I love that quote about resentment.  I wish I'd have read and understood it decades ago.  I would've avoided banking some extremely painful bad karma. 

But that's another story...

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 19:57:16 PM »
As a dog-owner who allows her pooches on the sofa, I wouldn't use pricy fancy-dancy anything for my cushions  ;)
Dogs are such a help when dressmaking!