The Sewing Place

Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query

RJR_38

Re: Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 21:33:49 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about using interfacing necessarily (I have made velvet cushions without and it’s been fine). Just clip or pin like mad, I like to use wonder clips (the tiny pegs you referenced) as they don’t leave extra holes. I have a janome and other than for quilting I’m not keen on the walking foot either. I would use the standard foot, lengthen my stitch length a tiny bit (2.6) and if possible on your machine, lower the foot pressure as you are using thicker fabrics. I never alter my tension - I find changing the foot pressure is enough.

In terms of needle I would probably start with a 14 and gauge it from there. Sew slowly!

suburban

Re: Envelope cushion "fastening" Side Fabric Query
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 17:09:25 PM »
I wouldn’t worry about using interfacing necessarily (I have made velvet cushions without and it’s been fine). Just clip or pin like mad, I like to use wonder clips (the tiny pegs you referenced) as they don’t leave extra holes. I have a janome and other than for quilting I’m not keen on the walking foot either. I would use the standard foot, lengthen my stitch length a tiny bit (2.6) and if possible on your machine, lower the foot pressure as you are using thicker fabrics. I never alter my tension - I find changing the foot pressure is enough.

In terms of needle I would probably start with a 14 and gauge it from there. Sew slowly!

I really messed up.  Why on earth did I opt to make such a big cushion?  I must have been crazy.  I should have made one of those small, rectanglular cushions.  Less fabric to slip  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'd managed to sew the HEMS of the velvet fabric - where the "envelope" pieces meet ( or cross over ).  I'd written SEAMS in earlier posts - I'm still really a beginner and I get confused.  Anyway, of-course I was still only sewing with velvet - I hadn't even added the "tapestry" fabric piece.  I couldn't believe how well the velvet hems sewing turned out.  I was thrilled.  Gave me a false sense of security.

You're so right about sewing slowly.  "Foot Pressure" Well, I put the speed of the foot pedal on "Low".  I have a Janome Sewist from a few years back, not the latest model.  "foot pressure"  I'm not sure I can alter the pressure on the foot.  I did have a walking foot but it just didn't work - it's off centre and I should have returned it.

So I tried to sew the velvet pieces to the "tapestry" fabric and the slippage when I got to the end was half a mile wide.  I'm too embarrassed to post a picture.  Trying to find a solution now.  Velvet is lovely but I'm not rolling in it.  I should have used common sense and listened to the lady who reminded me I have dogs and velvet ain't too dog-friendly - or vice-versa.