The Sewing Place

Me and colours again.

Iminei

Re: Me and colours again.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2020, 09:09:03 AM »
I like the light silvery grey, it highlights ... like sun sparkles on water, could you add some small random squares of silver around the place ...

Ive got some great lame, you could have, it would need to be interfaced but I think it could add something special.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2020, 09:18:33 AM »
Thanks @Iminei. A couple of my fabrics (still in mijn winkelwagen) have silver sparkles on them. I feel dead smart now.  :) I must be on the right track.
Silver lame?!?! You been in the dressing up box again???  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Syrinx

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2020, 09:37:40 AM »
If not traditional blocks then I'd focus more on the quilting threads to add anything extra if you need it.

I'm all for quilts with similar colours!

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2020, 09:42:35 AM »
I went off to check that my basket was still warm and popped a couple of silvery threads in there.  ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2020, 09:46:33 AM »

Silver lame?!?! You been in the dressing up box again???  ;)

I've got several metres of gold lamé somewhere in the stash.  DD gave it to me, she acquired it when she was coerced volunteered to make dance costumes for the whole class.

Gold lamé won't look right in @wrenkins 's quilt but might go with the special buttons she has ordered :button: :button:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
The last/only time I used lame was to make the capey part of a Roman centurion's outfit. I was nominated wardrobe mistress and made red tunic with gold sash and blue tunic with silver seqinny organza stuff. Very dashing they looked too. Mine was white with various strips and straps of gold bullion fringing to pretend I was covering my modesty. I loved fancy dress!  :loveit:

hernibs

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
Love the design and the colours...just perfect in my humble eyes for a fella.

wrenkins

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2020, 11:00:42 AM »
@hernibs the problem is I know what Lough Erne looks like at six in the morning. It's kind of difficult to make it look anything other than bleak!  0_0 I also know what it looks like with the sun dancing off it and the most amazing sunset and that's the most beautiful sight on earth.  :loveit:

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2020, 15:22:54 PM »
Waxing poetical there @wrenkins !  Another vote for the blues silvers, greys.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Iminei

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »
I can just see this in my minds eye @wrenkins

Rectangles of various blues with the odd end square in silver, a few rectangles depicting the boat/canoe/whatever (will that have a pointy end?) and vertical serpentine stitch of quilting in blues and the odd silvery strand all over .... just gorgeous!!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 09:10:26 AM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
OMG! That woman can see inside my head!  :faints:
It's a proper rowing boat, Steve Redgrave Matthew Pincent stylee so very pointy at both ends but I have a cunning plan for that.  :ninja:

Iminei

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2020, 09:18:55 AM »
If you wanted to try something using the correct fabrics (cos you need to see if the colour works) and a long stitch length for easy unpicking (If it doesnt or you hate it)

You could try ... (Measurements, finished, for example only)

12" boat made of ....

Dark Purple 1" pointy bit
Dark Purple 5" x 2"
Coral 2" sq
Dark Purple 3" x 2"
Dark Purple 1 " pointy bit

(or whatever proportions needed)

Dya see what it is yet?

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2020, 10:33:04 AM »
I'll have to see if I can find a dark enough purple. It needs to be nigh on black which might be the colour of the oars... :thinking: When my order arrives I'll see what it needs to look like. Goodies (nearly) always look better in the flesh.  :loveit:

wrenkins

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2020, 18:20:07 PM »
I have around 25 quarters, both fat and skinny, sitting in a heap on the ironing board and I have squinted at them through my lil red square. Now what?
I have graduated them from light to dark which has mixed up the blue/blue/blue/green/blue/aqua... Was that what I was meant to do with it? Is it for determining values?
My next obstacle is how to bleeend rather than hop in steps and stairs.
Why can't I just buy a pattern and follow it? I was the same when I was knitting. It's this but I've changed the collar and the length and put pockets on.  :S

BrendaP

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2020, 19:46:06 PM »
I have around 25 quarters, both fat and skinny, sitting in a heap on the ironing board and I have squinted at them through my lil red square. Now what?

Looking at fabrics through a red filter is supposed to help you work out which are the lightest and which are the darkest;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKF_H6MGL3U

I can't understand how they work.  A red filter will surly only allow red light through but not (much) green or blue.  That means that any fabric (or other surface) reflecting red light will apper bright/light and any fabric reflecting green or blue will appear dark.  I'm sure you would get different results if you use a green filter or a blue filter.

BTW I'm talking RGB primary colours as in TV screens and computer/phone monitors for the filters.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.