The Sewing Place

That Green Zara Dress

eluceo

That Green Zara Dress
« on: August 02, 2020, 19:37:57 PM »
In February, just before everything hit the skids, I popped into Zara one lunch and saw this dress and fell in love with it. 
I recalled that I have a apple green linen at home so I should just make the dress.  I did a quick examination of the dress but that was it.  Time flies and I still want to make a copy of this dress before summer is over.

I need help finding a pattern to modify.  The only pattern I have found so far is McCalls 8034 which kinda gives me the bodice. 

I know there are a number of you who can find suitable patterns easily.  Is there something better than McCalls 8034 out there?

jintie

Re: That Green Zara Dress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 20:23:05 PM »
Stylearc does similar stuff but not so fitted- which country are you in? (It helps when recommended solutions).
Rottweiler with scissors

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 20:30:41 PM »
It may be naughty but I would buy the dress, take it home and examine it forensically, then return it!

Done it once or twice  :P
Was Sewnanny

wrenkins

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 21:52:53 PM »
@UttaRetch is our forensic analyst in this department. If she can't find it, it doesn't exist.  :ninja:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

eluceo

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 03:56:18 AM »
I had thought of taking it home but with lockdown it never happened.

I am in the US but a pattern is a pattern - I am sure I can find any pattern as long as I don't mind paying for shipping.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 08:43:50 AM »
@eluceo and @wrenkins, the McCall's is pretty close if you won't want an exact copy.  I have found

but it is out of print and requires modification to get the look of the reference dress.

eluceo

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 18:07:06 PM »
@UttaRetch Thank you!! You are a star and  you have the most amazing pattern-fu I have ever seen.

I have a bunch of Maggy London patterns hidden away in a box.  Time to do a sort through

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 18:16:07 PM »
Thank you, but I have a really good pattern shop site that lets you drill down to a useful degree.   However, sometimes I do have to refer to google using terms that will find patterns that might work.

rachel

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 13:36:47 PM »

wrenkins

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 13:43:27 PM »
Good spot @rachel.
Welcome to the forum. If you go to the 'new here' thread there will be tea and biscuits, and, gin, and wine....  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 14:10:41 PM »
There may not be any wine left...  :| ... hic!

(And welcome!)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

rachel

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 14:57:23 PM »
Good spot @rachel.
Welcome to the forum. If you go to the 'new here' thread there will be tea and biscuits, and, gin, and wine....  0_0

On my way  :toast:

eluceo

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 19:38:47 PM »
@rachel  - thanks for the idea.

I have been dealing with a tension problems on my  :sew: machine when I got this far: .  But the machine is fixed and I am almost done.  I did a self lining which I now regret - should have use some lawn but ...oh well.

I decided to just drape the skirt which was probably faster than faffing about with a pattern.  Hope to finish it this weekend if we dont go off to help with a grape harvest. 

Save some of that :gin:  for me.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 19:43:52 PM »
I shall be keeping an eye out for the finished version.

rachel

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 09:46:26 AM »
I did a self lining which I now regret - should have use some lawn but ...oh well.

As a complete newbie can I ask about this....By self lining do you mean using the same fabric for the lining as outer? If so, why is that a mistake? I ask because I have some fabric here, which I bought enough of to be able to make a lining with. Is that not a good idea?

Thanks in advance! (More newbie questions coming soon.)