The Sewing Place

Indian block print shirt

EdTheMaker

Indian block print shirt
« on: August 03, 2020, 22:37:15 PM »
A shirt I've just made from hand printed fabric all the way from Jaipur, India. Quite pleased with the result although my kids are insisting I don't wear it in public. Stuff them!
The main reason I'm so pleased with it, is that rather than pinking the seams as I did with my first shirt I have used french seams which looks really nice and the curved sleeve seam wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

wrenkins

Re: Indian block print shirt
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 22:55:51 PM »
I put French seams in my first garment too. It's a lovely finish.
Well done on your (2nd?) shirt. It's a great fit.  :)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 23:00:46 PM »
Kids have no sense of style!  That's really nice.  I was taught to do French seams at school - possibly the only thing that I remember from needlework lessons, but I have always used them whenever possible.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

EdTheMaker

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 00:36:30 AM »
As an inquisitive type I was interested in the main motif of this pattern as it is obviously the same as the paisely design we all know. This lead me down a bit of a rabbit hole of investigation regarding the origin of the buta design. Here is a really informative article if anyone is interested:
https://slate.com/culture/2015/10/a-history-of-paisley-the-origins-of-the-curved-shapes-in-paisley-print.html   
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 00:46:05 AM by EdTheMaker »

mudcat

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 01:39:37 AM »
Why would your kids think that way?  I think it looks great.

Puzzler

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:38 AM »
According to Wikipedia, the pattern is sometimes called “Persian pickle” by Americans, particularly quiltmakers, and “Welsh pear” in Wales. I heard of the latter when I read a book called The Persian Pickle Club.

UttaRetch

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 07:42:18 AM »
The shirt looks great @EdTheMaker and tones nicely with the shorts.  Don't let your children be the arbiters of taste. 

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 07:48:54 AM »
THAT is gorgeous!!!!

I would like anything in that fabric but if you feel you couldn't possibly wear it at in public ...
you could always send it Dorsetwards ....

How did you acquire such gorgeous fabric all the way from Jaipur ???

Seriously that is gorgeous and arent French seams nice ??? Tricky on the underarms I should imagine tho'.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Efemera

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 08:35:53 AM »
What do kids know!..it looks great.

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 09:18:11 AM »
@Efemera, perhaps the children don't want to hear their father say 'thanks, I made it'.   ;)

sleepingwolf

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 10:29:00 AM »
That is a great shirt and lovely fabric.  I am in awe of the pattern matching on the fronts.  Wear it with pride!

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 10:33:46 AM »
It's great.  Wear it in public with pride. :thumbsup:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:03 AM »
Lovely shirt, beautifully made and pattern matched.

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »
I would be happy to be seen with you in that  :)
Life's too short for ironing.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2020, 11:21:56 AM »
@EdTheMaker great shirt and a great fit too  ;)

You deserve to be proud of it, and isn't it a parent's right to embarrass their children....?
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew