The Sewing Place

My style V. Current Fashions

Tiggy

My style V. Current Fashions
« on: August 04, 2020, 06:34:42 AM »
 I hate gathers.  I don’t like all these flounces round the neck which go down to the waist.  I really don’t like the tiered skirts and dresses...so 1970s.  I wore them when I was 13 so to me they are children’s clothing features.  Also, so not flattering.
But that is what is in the shops and magazines.  I mean, who remembers Gypsy Skirts?  All those gathers around the waist, shudder.  And the Huge sleeves, I mean, why?  How do you put a coat or jacket on over them?

I like cleaner lines, with a clever feature (which I always ‘think’ would be ‘easy’ lol).  No frills or flounces.
I’m more of a Blazer with a pair of jeans type gal (or a Chanel style jacket...)
So I’m really glad I sew my own clothes.

I am feeling a bit stumped as to what to my next project will be (just finished a Smart navy blazer with a notched collar, welt pockets and lining).  I haven’t made a pair of trousers in ages and everybody needs a smart pair of black trousers don’t they?  Hmmmm. Stumped is the word.

It’s all these frills, they are just too, well, frilly!  I’m glad I don’t have to rely on shops for my clothes.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Sewingsue

Re: My style V. Current Fashions
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:15:32 AM »
I feel your pain, Tiggy.
I am not a fan of frills either.
Don't like asymmetrical styles either, well not on me anyway. On others they can look right.

My biggest bug though is trousers that don't sit on the waist. They feel uncomfortable on me.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 07:44:59 AM »
I go my own way and mostly ignore the dictates of fashion.   Make what you like to wear.

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 08:37:20 AM »
Oh...I do like a frill  and a flounce!...and yes I wore them in the 70s  :ninja:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 10:54:23 AM by Efemera »

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:58:39 AM »
I'm with @Efemera here - I think that was the first fashion that made me feel happy, and probably the first time I wore the same styles as the adults.  Oh, and broderie anglaise petticoats showing - lovely!   0_0

I'd be a bit more judicious now, as befits my greater age, but there's still a place for them.  In fact my fingers are itching...

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 10:29:50 AM »
I don't mind small flounces and the seventies style gypsey/peasant styles are easy to wear.  Frilly floppy sleeves that dangle into everything are a different matter!

I agree though that as you get older you get to know what you like and what you feel confortable wearing, so go for that regardless of wht might be in the shops.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »
I’ve never been one for slavishly following fashion even as a youngster. 
But I did wear gypsy skirts.  I had one in red gingham.  And peasant tops in broderie anglaise. 

sewingj

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
I'm very impressed that some of you must have been in a shop long enough recently to know what is in fashion

Catllar

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 13:03:42 PM »
I like frills and flounces but I also like plain and simple ( comes of being born on the cusp of  virgo and libra) 
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Efemera

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 13:30:43 PM »
I like frills and flounces but I also like plain and simple ( comes of being born on the cusp of  virgo and libra)

Me too!

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 13:50:24 PM »
@sewingj, you only have to look at the pattern releases to see what is trending.  I don't shop for clothes because I can make what I like to wear.   

Manuela

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 00:00:34 AM »

Me three for the liking of plain and simple as well as flounces and tiered. I’m a Taurus though. I don’t really follow fashion, but when I see a trend I like I give it a try. I love the flouncy dresses that are ‘in’ right now, but I ban them to the skirt part and sometimes only the back ood the skirt part. I’ve always loved broderie anglaise, but with a more geometrical kind of design.
Good thing we’re all different ;)

BriarRose

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 04:48:04 AM »
I'm not a frill-seeker, but I do like full tiered skirts. I make mine to fit smoothly to about hipbone level before the gathers begin, though. The fit across the hips keeps me from looking totally dumpy and the fullness keeps me from feeling constrained. Guess I started wearing tiered skirts when I was four, we lived in south Texas, and my Mexican fiesta wear included a tiered red skirt and an off the shoulder white blouse with a shoulder ruffle. I loved the style then and I love it now, though the days of the ruffled off the shoulder blouse are behind me.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

Surest1tch

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 16:50:32 PM »
I hate frill and flounces on anything, they get in the way and on my nerves. I didn't to the gypsy style stuff in the 60's/70's so I too am glad I've always gone my own way with fashion. I prefer to dress in classic if I go out shopping or to any functions and scruffy but comfy round the house

Tiggy

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 17:29:56 PM »
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE