The Sewing Place

My style V. Current Fashions

UttaRetch

Re: My style V. Current Fashions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2020, 17:41:37 PM »
I've come around to the hi-lo so long as the front isn't too short.  I will never be a fan of baggy or straight since I don't want to resemble a brick built outhouse.

Gernella

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 09:47:13 AM »
Crikey that's a blast from the past.  I must have been around, 33ish and bought some lilac very light (probably polyester) fabric.  Couldn't think of anything to use it with when I'd got it and finished up with a dress, with a frill round the neck flouncy sleeves, straight down with a gathering on the bottom.  It was just not me and the only time I wore was on a really stonking hot day when we had visitors.  I looked an absolute fool, I've never been able to carry frills.  Simplicity could stick that one up their backsides.

I remember it every time I start delving for a long zip because I cut it out before I dumped it.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewingj

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2020, 10:00:10 AM »
I really love what I would broadly term Indian clothes and was drooling over Joanna Lumley`s outfits when watching her programme a couple of days ago.  But I don`t know if I`d dare wear them myself - would risk being accused of cultural appropriation! 

wrenkins

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2020, 10:52:12 AM »
My parents were invited to an Indian wedding a few years back. They went as themselves; their neighbours went in full 'fancy dress'! My mum was absolutely mortified.
Years ago I was given a hand sewn cheongsam by a Chinese friend. It fitted me perfectly and I loved it and wore it a lot. It saddens me to think that I would now be accused of cultural appropriation if I wore it. It wasn't. I just loved it and wore it.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

UttaRetch

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »
I had better keep my mouth shut @wrenkins.

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »
It’s the whole Kimono debate!...

wrenkins

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 13:10:20 PM »
I love and suit mandarin collars. I've had them on coats, t shirts my cheongsam. Does it only become appropriation below the neck?
My friend Sui Yung came back to Belfast to visit last year for the first time in 30 years. She asked did I still have it. It wouldn't fit my leg now!  0_0 :faints:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 18:22:34 PM »
It’s the whole Kimono debate!...
And now a whole new debate about using African Wax Fabric.
What next, not using Tartan because it belongs to the Scots, and don't mention Kilts, Irish Linen, silk because it is made in India and don't any of you think of using Abraham Moon wool fabric, made in Leeds or Heart of Huddersfield wool fabric (from Fabworks) as you will have the rath of a Yorkshire girl to deal with.  ;)
@Tiggy Have you seen Fabworks in open again?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Tiggy

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2020, 07:28:15 AM »
And now a whole new debate about using African Wax Fabric.
What next, not using Tartan because it belongs to the Scots, and don't mention Kilts, Irish Linen, silk because it is made in India and don't any of you think of using Abraham Moon wool fabric, made in Leeds or Heart of Huddersfield wool fabric (from Fabworks) as you will have the rath of a Yorkshire girl to deal with.  ;)
@Tiggy Have you seen Fabworks in open again?

Oh, yes I have.  I was there yesterday, lol.  I bought some shirting and a really nice striped piece of Double knit for when it gets a bit cooler.  They have some gorgeous trouser weight 100% wools but they would need dry cleaning.  And what many places charge per half metre, they charge per yard.  Really good value.
Pfaff Creative 4.5 ,  Babylock Gloria
Janome 3800QE

Gernella

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2020, 12:00:42 PM »

Years ago I was given a hand sewn cheongsam by a Chinese friend. It fitted me perfectly and I loved it and wore it a lot. It saddens me to think that I would now be accused of cultural appropriation if I wore it. It wasn't. I just loved it and wore it.

Just done a Google and came up with some gorgeous pictures, I could wear that easily.  I don't really get the cultural appropriation, how could you define that for people emigrating here and wearing 'English' clothes.  We don't complain. Illogical to me. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

UttaRetch

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 12:18:55 PM »
This blog explains cultural appropriation.  The writer concentrates on the kimono, but the same points could be made about other 'ethnic' clothing.  Sometimes a dress is not just a dress.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 12:19:11 PM »
I think the cultural appropriation thing has been 'appropriated' by the perpetually-aggrieved demographic on social media.  IMO (feel free to disagree) it's cultural appropriation if a corporation based in one country takes elements of the culture of another and uses them simply to flog stuff.  I, a blue-white Scot, am sitting here today in a red dashiki kaftan because it is ridiculously hot today and the garment is cool.  I don't think I am guilty of cultural appropriation - I'm wearing what's comfortable.

Likewise, I didn't get on my high horse when Samuel L Jackson appeared in The 51st State in a kilt (which he wore with aplomb, I must say).

UttaRetch

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 12:29:39 PM »
I am leaving this discussion.

So Chic

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 12:33:12 PM »
I have several outfits vaguely based on the shalwar kameez look of trousers or a longer skirt and a longish top or tunic as I find it depends on the fabric used, and the look suits me.

A racecourse was opened soon after we went to live in Tehran and all the Pakistani stableboys wore a male version of shalwar kameez and this look was taken up by not only by the expats but also some Iranian women.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:36:09 PM by So Chic »
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2020, 13:38:57 PM »
I am wearing a djellaba which I bought in Aswan,Egypt about 25 years ago. It's loose and cool ( it's currently 33c here )
I wouldn't wear it out and about but often wear it at home
Triumph of hope over experience :D