The Sewing Place

I'm exhausted.....I've done my first QAYG strip.

rubywishes

I'm exhausted.....I've done my first QAYG strip.
« on: August 04, 2020, 07:28:36 AM »
Yes, my "Papyrus" quilt blocks are finally all pieced and quilted and ready for my virgin flight into the realm of QAYG.

We're in stage 4 lock down here in Melbourne which means the ONLY businesses allowed to be open are Supermarkets, pharmacies, chemists, "pilot flame"  construction and essential services. So....NO fabric shops, no clothing, no bookstores etc etc.

The evening arrives when I am ready to organise myself for commencing my magical mystery tour of QAYG. Oh dear, no sashing fabric purchased it would seem. After a moment of sheer panic and anguish I pull myself together and undaunted, and with a red wine in hand I sway (listening to Eva Cassidy) over to my abundant stash. About an hour, and a red refill later I emerge with my sacrificial fabric selected and sit down with pen, calculator, paper for writing calculations...lots of paper , and another wee red for company, and dutifully watch all the tuts I have bookmarked.

....and it is with great joy I have emerged from my sewing room approximately 2 days later with ONE sashing sewn. I am overjoyed, proud as punch and rather impressed that I managed to find a fabric in my weird assortment of stash.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 07:32:30 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

Re: I'm exhausted.....I've done my first QAYG strip.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 07:52:51 AM »
Bravo! @rubywishes  ... I didnt know the Papyrus was going to be a QAYG ...   Have you done both sides?

Have you seen my QAYG tut ??
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

rubywishes

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 08:43:40 AM »
Bravo! @rubywishes  ... I didnt know the Papyrus was going to be a QAYG ...   Have you done both sides?

Have you seen my QAYG tut ??

Yes Im, both sides and I am gobsmacked that my 2 rows of stitching showing through on the back ran along the sashing strip beautifully and didn't wander off into the quilt block. I did watch your tut, along with about 35,000 others, and made copious notes and ensured I had plenty of red on hand for the actual "doing".  Hmmmm, there seems to be a common theme running in tandem with all my time in the sewing room... :toast: :dance:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 08:48:41 AM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 10:08:17 AM »
... ensured I had plenty of red on hand for the actual "doing".  Hmmmm, there seems to be a common theme running in tandem with all my time in the sewing room... :toast: :dance:

It seems to be working!!!  That looks wonderful.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
It does indeed and Im glad that my tut is descriptive enough for you to actually visualise it ...  ;)
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Elnnina

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 10:36:05 AM »
The effect you have achieved Rubywishes is wonderful and I really mean that - I am not a Darksider.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 20:00:55 PM »
Was anyone else terrified when they saw red sashing on a very pale quilt?  :scream:  @rubywishes did you check the red fabric for colorfastness? I don't think I could ever wash the quilt. The blocks are gorgeous.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

rubywishes

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 20:52:50 PM »
Was anyone else terrified when they saw red sashing on a very pale quilt?  :scream:  @rubywishes did you check the red fabric for colorfastness? I don't think I could ever wash the quilt. The blocks are gorgeous.

0_0 Rest assured all is well! The fabric (actually, it's burnt orange not red) is scraps from my stash. All my fabric is pre-washed in screamingly hot water before it goes away in my sewing room after purchase.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 08:26:40 AM by Iminei »

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 06:21:51 AM »
All sashing completed....binding to come next.

i've got to say I really enjoyed doing QAYG and will be doing it again for sure.

Sheilago

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 09:31:45 AM »

i've got to say I really enjoyed doing QAYG and will be doing it again for sure.
That’s beautiful! A work of art. 0_0
I’ve never done QAYG, but I’m considering it for my 2020 BOM quilt. I thought originally I’d just do a conventional quilt, so that I could add sashing , borders etc to make it the size that I want , but I suppose I could QAYG the blocks and then add borders if necessary.Hmmm :thinking:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:33:19 AM by Sheilago »

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 11:02:30 AM »
Rubywishes that is looking stunning, the colours are perfect and the quilting is gorgeous - that really inspires me - perhaps one day!!!!

Acorn

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 14:15:12 PM »
That really looks like something you'd see at FoQ.  Gorgeous!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2020, 06:33:45 AM »
Well binding is on. Not super keen on the burnt orange but meh...it was a "practice"quilt so no biggie. Now just have to find a relative or friend who runs slower than everyone else when they see me coming with another quilt in hand so I can gift it to them LOL! :laughing: :laughing:

Here you go @Iminei ...pics of the binding...gads I was even brave enough to use orange thread on the top and brown on the bottom.....NO SHOW THROUGH.... :dance: :dance:

What I've learnt from this quilt:
(1) I enjoy the process of QAYG and see it as a way to be able to do more spiffy quilting
(2) I really, really like using Rasant thread
(3) I really, really liked using the mirrored blanket stitch to attach my binding.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:56:27 AM by rubywishes »

wrenkins

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 09:39:51 AM »
That is stunning @rubywishes. It really does look like an exhibition piece.  :loveit:

ps I could walk as slow as you need... ;)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

annieeg

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
@rubywishes
That loojs absolutely lovely and I really like that burnt orange. :)