The Sewing Place

Another blast from the past

Gernella

Another blast from the past
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
I remember making this in the late 80's. Now I would look at the front piece and say in my head "too fiddly".  I made a really good job of it though in some cream wool  fabric, which never seemed to cost very much then.

All done with my old 1967 Brother sewing machine.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/686416682/vogue-2692-sewing-pattern-albert-nipon?ref=related-8

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

Re: Another blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Patterns now seem to be really simple with no details or interesting features...

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 12:11:21 PM »
Ooh that’s  fabulous.  Wish I could wear that sort of thing!

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 14:06:46 PM »
@Gernella: I made things earlier in my sewing life that I wouldn't even attempt now. 

I was very proud of a pleated skirt from vertical striped fabric and matching collarless jacket.  My style and figure has changed, from 30 plus years' ago.

Gernella

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 22:44:12 PM »
I remember making a suit with the jacket having two 'pleats either side on the front, which then continued onto the skirt to match.  I have no idea how I did it but they matched perfectly top and bottom.

I seemed to have a lot more confidence in taking on the more complicated things than I do now and I didn't get any wadders.  So yes I'm with you @UttaRetch, now I look for simple lines and nothing faffy.

I seemed to make a lot of suits then, now more separates.  Mind you I've just made two dresses and got another ready for cutting out.  Last time I wore a dress was for a summer funeral last year.  I think I need an improved social life. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included