The Sewing Place

So expensive!

Syrinx

So expensive!
« on: August 04, 2020, 17:25:19 PM »
Since when was sweatshirt fabric so ridiculously expensive.

Planning ahead and wanted to make up some new sweatshirts as current ones are all dying. Looked up some fleece backed sweatshirt fabric and it's all horrendously expensive, especially when you need meters of the stuff for pockets and hoods and all that.

Whyyyyyyyyy  :headbang:

wrenkins

Re: So expensive!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 18:56:02 PM »
Try here.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

sewmuchmore

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 18:06:33 PM »
@Syrinx funnily enough i have been looking over the last couple of days for sweatshirt stuff, i recently succumbed to buying the Sew House Seven pattern, have got as far as putting stuff in the basket and then thinking "£15 a metre, i could buy a sweatshirt and tart it up for that price". Currently looking here they seem to have some nice stuff at £9 plus sign up for the newsletter and get 15% of first order.
@wrenkins tried to buy some softshell from here a while ago but the site just does not recognise my address, kept getting error messages to complete the street name even though i have entered it in full, plus it looks as if you have to collect your parcel from the DPD depot and mine is 10 miles away, too much a***** about for my liking.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

snoozi soozi

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 18:50:43 PM »
@sewmuchmore I had trouble with my address on their site, I put the house number after the street name and that worked  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

sewmuchmore

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 20:44:56 PM »
@Syrinx i have just ordered some of this 175cm wide. Will let you know what it is like when it arrives.

Janet

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 21:15:13 PM »
Ooh - I like that!   :loveit:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 22:11:58 PM »
I've had a couple of parcels of loveliness from Driessenstoffen and the fabric is lovely, not found elsewhere and is very cheap. Even with a fixed rate of 9.95€ per parcel it still works out very reasonable. Naturally you'd want to buy a few lengths of fabric to make the postage worthwhile.  :devil: :devil: Yes you do have to put the house number after the street name but the parcel arrives ok within a few days.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 22:28:52 PM »
That's good to know @Tamnymore. As you say if your order's decent it's worth it.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

classical retro

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 23:26:59 PM »
 Fabworks have a selection of sweatshirting at a reasonable price. Some are extra wide too.
CR :angel:

[Tweaked link - there was an extra http://.  Acorn :) ]
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 09:11:28 AM by Acorn »

sewmuchmore

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 22:11:47 PM »
@Syrinx i have just ordered some of this 175cm wide. Will let you know what it is like when it arrives.
Arrived today, it is nice quality not too much stretch just enough give crosswise to be comfortable. It is not brushed backed so that suits me too. Now thinking a dress rather than sweatshirt.

Janet

pjaj

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 15:06:59 PM »
Agreed. Some sites are somewhat underhand. They quote what looks like a good price, but when you look closer it turns out to be for half or even a quarter of a meter. Thus the fabric that looks good at a headline price £6 turns out to be £24/m :(. Also prices shouldn't be confused with fat quarters or just samples, but that's more obvious.
Sent from my abacus

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 16:18:51 PM »
I think it is underhand to price fabric in that way and I don't buy the excuse that it is easier for the 'computer' to handle.

Syrinx

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 13:42:10 PM »
I thought I'd found some. Digging through the sale stuff on Minerva I found a lovely cream thick french terry. Perfect! £14 for 3m. Bargain.

Just got an email saying that actually they only have 1m of it. What would you like to do?  :headbang:

So back on the sweatshirt fabric hunt. Who knew it would be this hard to find a nice quite thick fabric for a hoodie that won't cost a million pounds  :S