The Sewing Place

Singer 522 poorly for the want of a ten-cent part!

HenriettaMaria

Singer 522 poorly for the want of a ten-cent part!
« on: August 04, 2020, 21:04:33 PM »
The shirt I posted about on the Wardrobe thread was sewn with my mother's old Singer 522.  The topstitching you can see on the front is the *bobbin* thread and it's perfect.  Try as I might I can't get my Y2K Brother to produce similar quality (although the automatic buttonholes remain a boon).

The Singer started making a horrible banging noise when I was making a toile for the next shirt on the production line, so I took it to the repair man.  The part that has gone has disintegrated.  It's a nylon or plastic widget that stops the horizontal top shaft from banging into the chassis where it goes through it to meet the needle mechanism.  The part in question is shown at about 12 seconds into this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS0U8Mv_oBc

I've tried emailing singeronline.com (they're in the USA) but they haven't responded.  Does anyone know where the equivalent part might be obtained in the UK or Europe, please?

Roger

Re: Singer 522 poorly for the want of a ten-cent part!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 21:10:46 PM »
Helen Howes may have it - or if you have the broken part you might be able to get a 3d printing service or friend to make you one...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Mr Twingo

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 21:35:34 PM »
Here we call them C clips, over there they seem to be called E Clips, retaining rings, or retaining clips.

https://www.harborfreight.com/300-piece-e-clip-assortment-67653.html

Alternatively, could you do what the video suggests at 1 minute?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 21:37:19 PM by Mr Twingo »

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 21:42:37 PM »
If Helen Howes doesn't have the part try https://www.sewlincs.co.uk/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

StitchinTime

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 22:05:22 PM »
Bambers in Eccles have been posting photos on Facebook and Instagram of their parts bins, so it might be worthwhile contacting them.

(Not sure if the link below will work as I’m trying to link to a Facebook post.)
https://www.facebook.com/bambersew/posts/3319638604758802

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 13:09:04 PM »
or if you have the broken part you might be able to get a 3d printing service or friend to make you one...

Unfortunately it disintegrated but I have fished a few bits out of the machine and have kept them!  Meantime I've emailed Helen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 13:16:50 PM by HenriettaMaria »

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 13:13:28 PM »
If Helen Howes doesn't have the part try https://www.sewlincs.co.uk/

Thanks - have emailed them

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 13:14:57 PM »

Alternatively, could you do what the video suggests at 1 minute?

I think I need the spacer to avoid the metal parts bashing against one another.  If I really can't find a spacer/washer to fit I may try that and a lot of grease as an alternative!

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2020, 14:54:00 PM »
Have you thought of trying the person who used to be in Luton - Theobalds - he has moved down to somewhere in Dorset - if he took all his old workshop stuff with him, there is just a possibility that he would know what part you need and may have one, or point you in the right direction - perhaps worth trying.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2020, 16:17:26 PM »
Have you thought of trying the person who used to be in Luton - Theobalds

Robert Theobold was my go-to guy until he retired but I hadn't imagined he'd transport the contents of his extensive workshop to Dorset.  I'll give him a shot, thanks

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2020, 13:07:33 PM »
It's working again!  Helen couldn't help and Robert Theobold didn't have the part either but was able to put me onto the UK Singer distributor.  They were able to supply the part number, if not the part, and then it was easy to track down the item online.  I found someone selling them on eBay.  Four for under £4 including P&P.  Just fitted one and had to make a slight adjustment to the metal collar per the video, but it seems now to be OK.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Elnnina

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2020, 14:35:16 PM »
Oh well done on getting your machine fixed.  So it was a good idea to contact Robert Theobald even though he had moved to Dorset - it is people like that that are worth their weight in gold.  Why is it that these days youngsters just do not want to know or start at the bottom and work up, there is nothing wrong in becoming a sewing machine mechanic/engineer, and if those really old antique sewing machines can be coaxed back to work, then surely there must be a way to preserve the pre computerised machines as well.

steve_h

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2020, 19:42:43 PM »
The modern, pre-computerized machines have one big failing as I see them, plastic.
There are many plactic components which are much cheaper, easier and faster to make. It is also quicker to get into production with the plastics than having to work out machining on metal parts. But, plastic parts are also designed to fail. Plastics have a limited useful life under stress. Certain lubricants cause problems. Proper lubrication will only do so much to keep the plastics going. When the supply of repair parts is depleted, there are no more unless you can have a good part 3D scanned and reproduced by 3D printing or know a machinist who can make you the part out of metal.
Many manufacturers dispose of their replacement part inventories after a certain amount of time. When this happens, even the pieces that are still there and useful are gone. Old machines were made simply so that a needed part could be made by any competent machinist. Many of the plastic gears, cams and other parts would be very hard for anyone but an absolute master machinist to reproduce. This was the beginnings of designed obsolescence. We, as a population, said nothing about the quality problems and issues with repair, usually because of a lower price. So, it became the way of manufacturing. Now everything is designed to last a certain amount of time and disintegrate. Sad state of affairs really when you think about it.

Radiofan

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 19:19:00 PM »
Parts for the 500 series are still available. Regarding the thrust washer, I have made a brass version, but it does require complete disassembly of the top end. Followed by adjustment of timing etc. Nice to see the old 522 still going.
Singer 538, there are many like it, but this one is mine.