The Sewing Place

Order of sewing blocks together

Flobear

Order of sewing blocks together
« on: August 05, 2020, 13:44:37 PM »
I have done some searching on the site but can't find a direct reference to which order blocks should be sewn together. I expect it depends somewhat on what you're doing.

There are 16 blocks, like this, to be arranged as 4 rows of 4. No complicated matching up is needed.

The thing I'm wondering is, should I start from the middle of the piece and work outwards so any imperfections in sizing / joining happen nearer the edges or just go along in rows or columns? I have cut and measured as carefully as I can but things are never as perfect as you hope they're going to be.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Lowena

Re: Order of sewing blocks together
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 13:47:56 PM »
I usually go along in rows. However, if it's 4x4 you could do 2x2 blocks and then join the 4 blocks  together
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Syrinx

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 13:48:43 PM »
If the individual blocks don't make up a bigger block (where I'd sew those together first to ensure well matched points) I will always sew them up in rows/columns and then sew those together as long strips. That way the seams nest and you are less likely to have mismatched bits. I do also sew in alternate directions so you don't get an accidental skew, but that's probably just a paranoia from many bargello makes!

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 13:50:12 PM »
Layout rows of blocks in alignment wanted

Laying outside block RST on 2nd block in for both pairs in row

Sew together keeping orientation
Sew the two pairs together

Repeat for other 3 rows
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 14:00:43 PM »
Once you get to sewing rows together there's enough fabric to do some judicious stretching and shrinking to accommodate any small discrepancies in piecing.  Very, very occasionally I might re sew a bit of a seam if it just isn't going to play ball.
Life's too short for ironing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 19:16:53 PM »
@Flobear Number your rows, either horizontal or vertical, according to how your mind works. Make sure you know which way is 'up'.

You can sew blocks into rows/columns and then rows/columns together. Press the seams so they will butt, ie alternate rows left and right, or up and down. Talk to yourself if necessary as you do this to remind yourself of the plan.

Alternatively, take first and second columns and sew vertically, top block col 1 to top block col 2, don't cut them off, chain piece the blocks below in pairs to the end of the column, then without cutting the threads, stitch them horizontally, butting the seams eg left for col 1, right for col 2. Repeat with next 2 columns, remembering which way to put the seams, until you have sewn all the columns into pairs. If you have an odd number, join that one horizontally. Then join the pairs together, remembering to butt the seams the way they are going already. Add the odd one last. You can press as you go, or leave it all till you've finished. Pinning at the seam will help avoid 'flipped' seam allowances.

Flobear

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 19:25:07 PM »
Thank you very much @Lowena, @Syrinx, @Iminei, @Ploshkin and @Deafoldbat for your comments.
I want to make sure it all goes together nicely, even though it will be only just over 3' square finished.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!