The Sewing Place

Skirt help

Kwaaked

Skirt help
« on: August 06, 2020, 03:24:28 AM »
DD wants a mermaid sequin skirt.  I don't mind, but worried it's a little heavy and falling down.

Generally, I'd use a 3-4" elastic, but I can't find any, I do have 1" elastic.  Do you think making a band of 3-4 tiered waistband would keep the heavy fabric up?

Efemera

Re: Skirt help
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »
Join the elastic together.... butt it together and zig zag, might work.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:27:15 AM »
Triple zig-zag would probably work better.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

charlotte

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 09:32:03 AM »
I am assuming DD is a small child wanting a costume-type skirt, rather than a teenager/adult wanting an evening skirt, but I may be wrong on this!

I would say as long as the waistband is a snug enough fit the 1" should hold up even a heavy fabric, assuming it is for child-length legs?

But if you did want to make the 1" elastic into a wider waistband, I would butt it together and use a three-step zigzag stitch as above. I would stretch slightly whilst sewing to minimise risk of stitches popping later as it is stretched.

Kwaaked

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 10:50:55 AM »
My almost 9 year old.  She's 4'8" and wears a childs 16 plus with length of pants altered several inches.

This is some of that flip sequin mermaid fabric on satin, so I would have to add a waistband of different fabric to do the casing and am going to make it above the knee, so the skirt length is going to be around 15" or so...so some of the weight will be lessened and the heavy fabric itself is not holding it up and I plan on facing the hem so reduce even more bulk (the inside is smooth).

I also wonder if a wider yoke would be more beneficial?  Like 1" elastic on a 3" yoke...sort of a fake sports band.

I also don't have a zig zag machine.  The one at my shop I rarely use is loaned out, so all I have access to is straight stitch ones, and I'll be making this on treadle.

Thanks, I guess I can use the wider elastic and see if it works before letting her wear it in public.